axle dimensions and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axle dimensions and questions

Ok so I bought my 91 GL (auto) a couple weeks ago, and got new front struts and new axles with it. I figured while I was replacing the pads, I might as well have the rotors turned, wheel bearings repacked and put the New struts and axles in.

Well, I got everything changed out, and torqued down. I set the car down and start putting tranny fluid in, about 1 1/2 quarts into it I hear something dripping on the floor. Long story short, the passenger side axle was not in all the way and the fluid was leaking out the axle hole. So I took the axle out (which just slid right in and out), and I took some measurements.....

I dont have the overall lengths written down, but If i remember correctly the NEW axle was 34 13/16, and the OLD axle was 35 3/8.

here are the indepth numbers. If you are helping and I didnt say the correct name I will try and explain what piece im talking about.

These are on the trans side only because the axle slid into the hub.

NEW AXLE

trans seal diameter- 1.377"
    bearings- .945"
    trans spline- .898"
    end of spline to seal diameter- 2.327"

OLD AXLE(was in the car and working when I got it... dur)

trans seal diameter- 1.378"
    bearings- 1.025"
    trans spline- .978"
    end of spline to seal diameter- 2.525"

My only guess is that the new axles are for a manual festiva.

If anyone has any info that can help me out let me know. Thanks.
    91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
    00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
    88 gtx
    74 torino- enduro car.

Re: axle dimensions and questions

Originally posted by niklid05
    My only guess is that the new axles are for a manual festiva.

If anyone has any info that can help me out let me know. Thanks.
    Believe you have nailed this one!
    I know there is a difference but don't remember which one is longer/shorter.
    Hope you have a receipt and can swap them out for the correct ones!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Manual axles are smaller in diameter than auto ones.( on the tranny side)
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

I figured that was what it was from the first quart of tranny fluid that flowed on to the floor. Unfortunately I only have one shipping paper which prolly wont do crap. So Ill try and call the guy I bought them off of and see if he has the receipt.

Now here is the other question. I have the other axle (drivers side) in there and cant get it the hell out. If its the wrong one wouldnt it want to come out just as easy as it went in? I tried prying it out with a little breaker bar and it didnt want to come out. Even the ones with 110k wanted to come out easier than this one does.

If anyone wants to trade brand new set of excellent auto axles for my set of manuals let me know lol.
        91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
        88 gtx
        74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

Your axle that is 34 5/8" is a for a manual transmission. That is the correctly measured length. It is in a post about F-series transmission where I talk about the length of the manual transmission axles. I will have to go look up the info on auto transmissions axles, because that just gave me a thought.... :sign7:
          The Festiva Store
          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by niklid05
            Now here is the other question. I have the other axle (drivers side) in there and cant get it the hell out.
            the clip on the axle, for some reason is a real PITA on the drivers side axle, if the axle went in and there's no problems with it, it'll be the right one

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

The trick (simplistand most accurtate) method to check: lay the od axle up to the new axle but do not lay them end to end....allign them so that the ends/face of the cups (what the boots strap to). This is the critical overall length. If you changed the seals at the tranny end, it possible that they gave you the wrong ones or the wrong ones where in the box. Maybe the seal was damaged when the axle was inserted. I always lube my seals with a finger full of dextron. If the axel is not in far enough, you'll know it, you will see the unapinted surface between the seal and the cup. Don't be affraid, while holding the axle staight, tap the wheel end of the axle with a soft face mallet. Its impossible to be in to far. If the axle is new, the clip on the end may be to dry to ease into place, give it a liitle lube. Your other measurements Bearing dia(?) and Spline dia(?) are to different to be comaptible.
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Okay, I got another axle, lubed it up, gave it a few little taps with a brass hammer and it went right in. Thanks for the input guys. Ill find out tomorrow whether or not something is wrong again.
                91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                88 gtx
                74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

Working...
                X