Transmission Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Questions

Hi, I recently took my 1992 Festiva in for a new clutch. The garage I took it to just called with some bad news. He said besides the possible clutch problems he said he thought the loud noise is probably gear and bearing problems in the transmission. I said I guess a clutch really wouldn't help that much with the other problems and he said not really. He said he tore one apart last year and could not find parts for the transmission to repair it. I guess I am looking for suggestions on where new parts could be found or where to locate a used transmission. Or any other suggestions? The car has high miles 259,000 but runs great, I am not sure putting a bunch of money in this is really worth it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

1992 Festiva
    2 door

Try the for sale/wanted ads here>i'm sure someone could fix you up with a tranny
    it runs so sweet
    91 L 5spd

Comment

junkyards are your friend!! find a aspire transmission
      ---------------------------------------------------
      The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
      ---------------------------------------------------
      BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Is that a transmission shop? I've had them open a transmission up for me and say it's going to cost a lot more. I've stood at the counter and listened to them tell other customers the same thing over the 'phone. I told them just to replace the synchromesh bushings as agreed and close it up. Never had any problems with it. Some try that scam. If you don't know this guy I'd ask how much more he wants and compare that with the cost swapping in a junkyard or rebuilt unit. I'd go for the cheapest.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

for transmission rebuild kits try www.drivetrain.com

Mazda/Ford 4 & 5 Speed (FWD) Manual Transmission Parts
          These quality manual transmission parts, rebuild kits and overhaul kits Ford 4 & 5 speed Mazda built kits are designed to be top of the line overhaul kits. We have include information on how to identify individual transmissions, application information, model year,and detailed kit and part availablity by transmission type. The Mazda transmission that is covered in this section are 4 and 5 speed's, front wheel drive (FWD). Typically used in Ford, Aspire & Festiva.

Different overhaul kits are available depending on the extent of the overhaul that you plan, the contents of the kits are described as follows:

MRK Kit (RWD): Main case bearings, gaskets, seals, kits may also include nuts, dogs & wires, thrust bearings, extension housing bushing, small parts kit, shifter bushings however miscellaneous parts will vary by transmission. Syncro rings are sold separately in sets.
          Information and parts are provided for the following Transmission: Mazda/Ford 4 & 5 Speed (FWD)

IDENTIFICATION - Aluminum 2-piece case with a solid rear case. The starter mounts with two bolts on the top of the bellhousing from the rear. There are ball bearings supporting the mainshaft and tapered bearings supporting the pinion shaft. The pinion gear (for the differential) presses off the front of the pinion shaft along with the 3rd/4th gears.

Ford Festiva 4 & 5 Speed
          1988-93

Ford Aspire 5 Speed
          1994-97

PART NUMBER
          PER CAR
          DESCRIPTION
          TYPE
          YEARS
          COST
          REBUILD KIT
          MRK100201 Master Rebuild Kit with Differential Bearings 1988-97
          $126.66

K100201 Rebuild Kit without Differential Bearings 1988-97
          $101.61

SYNCHRO RING KITS

SK201 Synchro Ring Kit
          1988-97
          $184.34

BEARINGS

301543 1 Input, Front
          1988-97
          $14.66

301520 1 Input, Rear
          1988-97
          $13.38

301720 1 Pinion, Rear
          1988-97
          $15.84

301677 2 Differential Carrier
          1988-97
          $15.24

METAL CLAD SEALS

301006 1 Front
          1988-97
          $7.90

70551 2 Axle
          1988-97
          $7.58
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Lot of info there in this good manual transmission thread, bump to the top.

Comment

Hey Jim, I used those people before and some of the parts were not totally correct and I had to buy local. The input shaft bearings they supply are open (not sealed) bearings. The input shaft bearing require the outer capture rings to be removed to function properly. The biggest problem with these M5 transmissions are the input shaft bearings. (Usually that is the only problem - although while it's opened up, you wind up freshening everything). There is a kit available from AutoZone but you might have to order it from them. Without Synchros around $120.00. I think they have another one with Synchros also. The AutoZone kit number is BK200. I have not used this kit from autozone because I had already started with those guys from Las Vegas (Drivetrain.com). I was just a little disappointed with the bearings supplied and acquired the exact (sealed) replacements - I just didn't want to take a chance, although the open bearing may have been fine. Nobody I talked to could tell me if it mattered or not, so my basic rule is put back what you take out.

Comment

Just curious....what symtons did you have before you wnet in for the clutch....or...what dis he do to determine the tranny had internal problems...there is alot to fail in the clutch to create noise...throw out...springs...pads...pilot...just curious.
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I hate hate hate tranny shops. I had a tranny leak with like 80000 miles in 95, baby car out of warranty, and not even 2 years old. I took her to aamco, since I lived in an apt complex where I souldn't do the job. I asked them to replace the the rear main while they had the tranny out for a rebuild (tranny leak killed tranny, I parked in the gravel lot, and did not notice leak). Early 97, I owned my house with garage, and had about 130000 on car, when tranny died! Bought a tranny from J/Y for $40, did the job in two hours or so. While I had it out, the seal was still the OEM, not the felpro I was charged for! Now, 11 years and more than 300,000 miles later, I have the same 5spd that cost me $40, not the aamco rebuilt one that cost $900!

I have had similar probs with other cars and tranny shops over the years, how I really really hate em!

end rant
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

^^always ask for the old parts.
                    Joe Lutz

Comment

I spent $700.00 on mine to have a master bearing kit installed , plus the clutch and machining the flywheel , total was right at $800.00

I only paid $500.00 for the car .

I felt that my car was worth it , or I would have not spent that kind of money on it .

I tell everyone my car is like cash rewards , it is like it pays me back at the pumps :lol:
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

^^good stuff
                        Joe Lutz

Comment

Working...
                        X