clutch change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch change

how hard is it to change a clutch on a 92 festiva, do i need a motor lift or any special tools? how much do you think it will cost to do?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

isseasy, there is a thread somewhere on here, you'll need something to hold the motor up and something to jack the front up, and jackstands, and time, if your new at it more time.
    Clean all connections for ground wires and starter wires.
    Many guys on here can do in a jiffy,,, under four hours.
    (now someone will blast me and tell me they can do it in an hour) please do it!
    Mercon Trans fluid, trans seals $5-$6 US, each, if ya want, clutch is $85-$90 US.
    Hey I got friends in Cilliwack! On the frasier, been there! Kieth Wison rd. actually Sardis.
    it runs so sweet
    91 L 5spd

Comment

If you have done it before...rip it out...don't clean any parts and slap it together....about two hours. if you're skilled and take your time...4 or more hours.
      No special tools except torque wrench. A jack is required to hold the engine at the flywheel end.
      Tricks...riase the front of the car high enough to drop the transmission to the floor and drag it out for cleaning (it's a good ideal to remove, clean and lube the throw out bearing pivot arm. When removing the clutch cable...avoid backing the nut off the cable...if it gets stuck the cable will break easily. Best thing to do, is remove the bracket that holds the cable at the transmission...put in the same way. Also there is a galvanized metal shield between the block and trans. It can get in the way or be difficult. Inside the statrer hole...after it is removed...at the nine o'clock position is a 10mm hex head cap screw. Take it out allowing the shield to float a little more or fall away. Good Luck!
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I have supported the engine with a 2 by 4 laid across the fenders, and a couple of coat habgers in the past, but I would suggest something sturdier than than the coat hangers......

I once removed the tranny, replaced the clutch, and had the tranny go out again 2 days later, the input shaft had been wobbly, apparently, and had worn out the old clutch, then broke 2 days into the new clutch! With the recent practice, and desperate to hurry, I had the tranny out in about 45 minutes, new clutch in in about 5, new tranny in in about an hour, so 4 hours with skill sounds like a fast time, definitely spend some time and do it right, clean all connectors, yada yada yada.
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I am in the same boat. Never done a clutch before and will be learning on a 1990 festiva I just bought on Sunday. The first thing I want to figure out is where to support the motor because it looks like the mounting beam under the tranny has to come off to do the clutch?
          jdm impreza wrx
          1990 LX 5spd

Comment

I feel for you guys,I have not done any work on the ground in many many years.
            96 Ford F-150 XLT
            93 Festiva L (Modified)
            92 Festiva L
            68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

it runs so sweet
              91 L 5spd

Comment

Believe it or not... I thing the festiva clutch is easier on the ground supported on jack stands. The reason....is lifting the trans with one hand thru the starter hole, watching the insertion, and having a hand free to insert the first two bolts. The Hanyes manual is easy to follow....step by step.
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

i heard that you have to machine the fly wheel or pressure plate or somthing like that is this true

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                  1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

you are supposed to machine the flywheel to remove the previous clutch material from the flywheel. When the clutch contacts the flywheel it leaves material on it. They say you are suppose to to get it machined off. It is not something you can see. I have replaced a few clutches and have not done anything and have not had a problem. Look for cracks in your flywheel, and than take a piece of sandpaper and lightly sand the face of the flywheel. That should be good enough if your flywheel is in good shape.
                    The Festiva Store
                    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

It's similar to machining your rotors but with a greater consequence if you have a problem like chaterring while you let out the clutch...
                      96 Ford F-150 XLT
                      93 Festiva L (Modified)
                      92 Festiva L
                      68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

thanks for that link i think I will try to fallow those instructions
                        jdm impreza wrx
                        1990 LX 5spd

Comment

I fallowed the instructions, everything was fine except my speedo cable is not a 10mm bolt it is a 19mm bolt which the cable runs through. How do put tranny fluid back in it????? it is a 1990 5spd.
                          jdm impreza wrx
                          1990 LX 5spd

Comment

You remove the speedo cable to fill the trans. The whole thing comes out and is a dipstick to check the level.
                            Brian
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                            :fish:

Comment

the 10mm is the bolt holding the spedo gear in take that out and pull out the thing that the spedo cable screws into
                              89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                              RIP 90LX

Comment

Working...
                              X