towing festiva's- can you do it without hurting transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towing festiva's- can you do it without hurting transmission

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can I can tow the festiva with all 4 wheels on the ground... will that hurt anything? I would like to tow it behind my van. I built a front hitch receiver that I am towing it around with now, but it doesn't have an engine or transmission or axles put in it yet. Thanks for your help!

It should be fine if you leave it in neutral. Festiva's have 2 tow hooks on the front anyways.

Comment

to clarify;

4 or 5spd, no problems, just place in neutral (as stated by Uni)

auto trans, DO NOT DO IT. The engine must be running to run the pump inside the trans, which provides pressurized lube to the bearings and bushings and clutches inside. Flat towing an auto trans results in catastophic failure.

(there are a few exceptions to this statement, but none apply to the Festiva/Aspire)
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^Yep, what he said!
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by Unicornasaurus
          It should be fine if you leave it in neutral. Festiva's have 2 tow hooks on the front anyways.
          those aren't tow hooks. Those are tie-downs for shipping the car. Its not recommended to tow the car by the tie-downs, although it can be done.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I think he said:

"but it doesn't have an engine or transmission or axles put in it yet".

Then what exactly will hold the spindles in it????????The axels and nuts hold the bearings in place with the proper torque and the spindles can slip out!!!!! Or at least they can bind on the calipers and have the inner bearing get dirty or creep off, they need that axel or a CV joint end in there.

CAR GO BOOM!
            it runs so sweet
            91 L 5spd

Comment

I missed that part. DO NOT TOW WITHOUT HALFSHAFTS IN THE FRONT HUBS!!!!
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

they make kits for towing behind motorhomes tho
                96 Ford F-150 XLT
                93 Festiva L (Modified)
                92 Festiva L
                68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

Best way to tow any front wheel drive is by getting the front tires off of the ground, always, and every time.
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

even on a tow dolly you want the halfshafts in, Most clamp on the front wheels. The only thing holding the front wheel hub together is the halfshaft and nut.
                    it runs so sweet
                    91 L 5spd

Comment

I have the wheels on and had the bearings replaced (inner and outer) then put a big washer on both sided ot the wheel to hold the bearings in place while I was towing it back and forth to the local college to do the body work- did I hurt anything? The shafts were not in the wheels (they are on a shelf at home). I'm glad to hear I can tow with my tow bar- makes life much easier (4 sp)

Comment

a big bolt going through them? 3/4" or so?
                        it runs so sweet
                        91 L 5spd

Comment

As long as there is something to keep the bearing in the hubs, that is the most important part. I had a bearing fall out the hub just by pushing the car across the yard. It didn't matter because I was taking it to the crusher anyway, but it made it tough to get on the trailer.
                          The Festiva Store
                          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO you kill a Festiva. OUPS I kill one too to get the roof NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm a Festiva killer too. LOL

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

LOL, I have only gotten rid of festivas when they gave life to other festivas and I didn't have titles for them. One was really really rusty, and the other had been in an accident.
                              The Festiva Store
                              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X