Smokie wants to quit smoking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokie wants to quit smoking!

I recently acquired an 89 Festiva L. It runs great, however it leaks oil and smokes really bad. The air filter housing has been removed, so the carb is sitting there exposed. Where the hose should attach to the top of the rocker arm cover and go to the air filter assembly, is sitting there open and spits oil out pretty bad. I have determined this to be where the oil is leaking from. As for the smoke from the tail pipe, if I run the car without the catalytic converter (which is hallow by the way) on it does not smoke out of the exhaust at all. Obviously the cat needs replaced. I have a few questions. Why is oil coming out of the hole in the top of the rocker arm cover? If I get a new air filter housing, will the oil stop leaking? Any ideas on what could be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Uncle Fester does the same thing. Your engine needs to be rebuilt. Oil comes out of that hose because the piston rings aren't sealing properly anymore, and combustion gases are pushing into the crankcase. the gases escape through the breather hose, and carry oil into the air cleaner. No easy fix, nothing you can pour in, add to the oil, etc....

Just ask anyone at the Fling about Uncle Fester's smoking habit....
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Well if your ring packs are just dirty then www.auto-rx.com would defintely help.

It won't if they're physically damaged.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Mine's going to be joining the ranks soon...

It coughs up a little oil and burns a quart every couple of months.

But I got a line on a rebuilt engine for cheap so if mine dies it's not that big of a deal.

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

oil catch can?!?!? hehe that is my quick fix for lucky. now if I can think of a way to plump it so the oil goes back into the block so I don't have to empty it I would b all set.

Comment

When was the last time you guys changed your PCV valve?
            www.dantheoilman.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

3-4 weeks ago darkdan. Mine is like jim's I have ton's of blowby!!!

Comment

dude, that's one of the first things I check. I get a bit deeper than that. How's 25%-30% cylinder leakage into the crankcase.....
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I checked the PCV valve and lines. All the lines have alot of suction and PCV valve rattles like I believe it should. It's also starting to lose power. It's all the Smokie can do to go past 60 now.

Comment

Rattling doesn't mean diddly. It's $3, replace it. Can't hurt.

Yall should try a piston soak. If that works/helps then definetly get auto-rx. If it doesn't help....buy a new engine.

1.) Remove all spark plugs.
                    2.) Add 2 oz to 4 oz of a solvent directly into each combustion chamber
                    3.) Turn engine over twice BY HAND! I repeat BY HAND.
                    4.) Replace spark plugs.
                    5.) Allow to sit over night.
                    6.) Change oil
                    7.) Start engine

My favorite solvent is lubecontrol for this. It doesn't evaporate quickly and eats carbon like a fat guy at a buffet.

Other options are Seafoam, B-12 chemtool, etc etc etc. You're welcome to repeat the process.

This should clean the combustion chamber and the ring packs decently well. If it helps then the problem can be corrected.

If it doesn't help they're just plain worn.
                    www.dantheoilman.com
                    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
                    X