choke heater suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choke heater suggestion

My carb festy bucks while driving cold, i think that the choke is opening faster than the engine is warming up, runs fine when it reaches first line on temp guage,,,,,i have adjusted the butterfly but dont understand the adjustment of the choke unloader in Haynes,,,so just for testing purpose is there a fuse that the choke heater runs off of, I will remove it or put a toggle switch in the circuit and kick it back on when the engine is warmed...always something.
    previous cars to fix up;
    86 300ZX
    85 RX7 GSL
    88 Corolla FX
    89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

UPDATE: I installed a toggle switch that cuts off the low voltage to the choke heater (red wire from alt to choke), I did this on my carbd RX7 but it was called the air vent solenoid ,,,,,,now on cold startup i flip the toggle switch to off, pump the gas pedal, crank it up, and it does just fine, no bucking or stalling as before untill engine warmed up, and when the temp guage starts to rise I switch on the toggle switch to send heat to choke to open the butterfly fully,,,,,,,I know my butterfly will stay shut longer and will run richer but i will sacrifice the extra gas to not have the bucking and stalling for the first mile on cold mornings,,,,,I know this is just a band-aid fix, but seems like alot of carb owners are haveing the same problem and no real fix as of yet....
    previous cars to fix up;
    86 300ZX
    85 RX7 GSL
    88 Corolla FX

Comment

Looks like a tradeoff between using the toggle switch and plugging in the block heater. I've always felt that running through the snow in my bare feet to plug in the block heater an hour before starting the engine builds character.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt
        Looks like a tradeoff between using the toggle switch and plugging in the block heater. I've always felt that running through the snow in my bare feet to plug in the block heater an hour before starting the engine builds character.
        You could buy a timer! But on second thoughts, character is a good thing to build
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

just adjust the choke pull-off.... that's what its there for.

or am I just too old?
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
            just adjust the choke pull-off.... that's what its there for.

or am I just too old?
            any instructions in the Haynes on this adjustment ? , all i can find is how to's on choke breaker and choke unloader adjustments, and tried both with no effect and nothing about the "choke pull-off" mentioned.
            previous cars to fix up;
            86 300ZX
            85 RX7 GSL
            88 Corolla FX

Comment

choke unloader and pull-off are the same thing. Are you sure you turned the cap in the correct direction? Turn it towards "Rich".
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I did drill out the rivits that held the cover on, but mine has the elec heat coil spring and I was too hesitant to try to adjust,,so i did not mess with it,,so u are saying just do it, that this is the fix,,,i remember having to do this to my ole 352 every summer and winter but never have messed with the heated type,,,,,I will give it a try,,,,,
                and your not to old, just wise.....
                previous cars to fix up;
                86 300ZX
                85 RX7 GSL
                88 Corolla FX

Comment

same function, regardless of water heated, exhaust heated or electric heated. Just mark it before you turn it, so you can always set it back to where it started.
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Working...
                  X