2 piece cv boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 piece cv boots?

Has anybody had experience with 2 piece cv boots?

The right side cv boot had split and I didn't want to take everything apart to replace the boot and I didn't want to get charged $200 by a garage so I went and picked up a 2 piece kit. It seemed simple enough, the two halves are bonded togather over the axle and clamped on properly.

So I get the old one off, get the new one in place, and it's too dang big! :evil: I called back the store I got it from, gave them the parts number and was told it would fit.

I'm no mechanic but I know this thing is too big, there's no way its going on snug. Am I going to have to take it to the garage or is there another way around this?

I've never heard anything good about the 2 piece ones. Typically you get a leak, the grease flings all over the place, you run the CV joint out of grease, and you eventually ruin the CV joint.

It's not that hard to replace the boots if you have some basic tools. A new boot is about $12. You can take the lazy way out and just replace the whole axle with a rebuilt one. Usually about $60.

Comment

Inner or outer boot? Where is it to big...axle or hub? Some two piece boots are 'universal'...in the package they have a set of sleeves that adapt the axle diameter to the boot. Maybe the adaptor sleeves were missing!

I didn't think they made 2 piece boots anymore. I thought aftermarket universal boots are split type...only one joint to glue.

The trick to puting split boots on is after the old boot and grease have been removed. Put the new boot on and glue in place. After the glue has dried...slide the boot back and put the new grease in place...this prevents the grease from contaminating the joint to be glued.

I paid about $80 for all 4 boots 2 years (Car Quest) Took less than three hours. Not hard to do at all. No special tools required.
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

After I tore a brand new CV boot while trying to install it, I took it to a local shop and they put on a new boot for under $20. I figure that was money well spent!

I think taking your CV out and to a shop would be better than messing with two piece boots. Just my opinion!

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Once the axle is out:
          1) Remove the large clamp at the tripod (tranny) end.
          2) Slide the tripod housing off
          3) Remove the retaining ring fro the tripod.
          4) Slide the boots on and off...no streching required.

$20 is unbelievable..none the less...you can change all 4 boots by the time you drive to the shop let alone wait and drive home.
          Joe Lutz

Comment

What was unbelievable was that they did it while I waited. It took maybe twenty minutes, tops. During that time DaveG (he drove me) and I got to look around and talk about other things they could do.

I thought it was a great deal. I didn't have to get my hands greasy!

Karl

Comment

In my experience 2 piece or split boots are a temp. fix at best
              96 Ford F-150 XLT
              93 Festiva L (Modified)
              92 Festiva L
              68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

I need to do this desperately, my boots are completely torn, and they've been this way for a year or so. Yikes!

How hard is it to take the axle out? (That's what I need to do to replace all the boots, right?)

Comment

^you,ll probably be better off taking your car to a shop.
                  Or find a member close by to help you.
                  Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                  99 Dodge Caravan SE
                  95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                  94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                  78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                  78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                  03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                  95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                  95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                  95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Re: 2 piece cv boots?

Originally posted by shawnw
                    2 piece cv boots
                    sounds like devil warship to me!
                    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                    RIP 90LX

Comment

Originally posted by rain406
                      I need to do this desperately, my boots are completely torn, and they've been this way for a year or so. Yikes!

How hard is it to take the axle out? (That's what I need to do to replace all the boots, right?)
                      If you've been driving around for a year with part of the boot missing, there is a good chance the CV joints may be showing some wear. Once the boot tears or rips, you start losing grease, and dirt makes its way into the joint. Once dirt gets in there, the joint wears rapidly. It may be best to just replace the whole axle(hard to say though, they may be fine).

Changing the axles can be very easy, but it sometimes sucks really bad. Just depends on how they pop out of the tranny. If all goes well, you can get an axle out in 15 minutes or so.

Comment

Just dropped the car off at the garage, new boot come morning. No damage should be done, I changed the oil last month and the boots were in fine shape. They more than likely tore in the last few weeks plowing through the ice and snow.
                        On the plus side I will be getting the work at a discount seeing how their 2 piece "universal" boot which I was told would fit, was too large and cost me a decent chunk of wasted time.

Comment

Originally posted by rain406

Still Want to change your boots yorself, I can post, it's simple. Best is to purchase the Hanyes Manual...It cookbook.
                          Joe Lutz

Comment

If you are SERIOUS about Festivas, you'll get a Haynes and several shop manuals! Haynes can be had for under $15, while you should be able to find a Ford shop manual for under $35 shipped, easily. Under $27 or so shipped is a deal.

The Haynes is generally not as good, but it gives you different pictures and ideas, plus it's lighter weight to keep in your car for higher performance!

Karl

Comment

Working...
                            X