How to flair exhaust pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to flair exhaust pipe?

My exhaust has started leaking again (my temp fix to get it to past inspection last a lil > 1 month), so i'm probably going to do the whole exhaust up over christmas break... but i haven't been able to find a good way to flair the exhaust pipe?

I just need to make joints between sections of the same pipe, so i need to flair it like 1/8" so it will slide onto the next piece and then get welded. I bought a mid-sized "exhaust pipe flair tool" from harbor freight and tried to a piece (i'm using 2 1/8" galvanized pipe), and i broke the tool without widening the pipe at all, so i returned it and got the next size up tool and it just barely won't fit inside my pipe, even if it would have i'm skeptical about how well they would actually work.

I've done some searching and haven't found any DIY processes for flaring exhaust pipe but i'm sure there are some out there, anyone have ideas?
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

when i read the title i was gonna seguest the flaring tool that i think your describing. Never used one... thought they would work better than that. Perhaps if you heat the pipe up it would work better? I mean even if you dont have oxy/accet you could try a propane torch.. it would be better than nothing.
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Comment

Take it by your local muffler shop and ask them to do it slip the guy a tip 5 10 bucks.Pick the muffler shop with performance type cars out front.....lol.Hot rodders are more likely to lend a hand.I worked at an independent auto repair shop for a coupkle of years and we did exhaust from straight pipes,its more tricky that you think but we would help peeple out all the time its good for business especially in a small town.
      96 Ford F-150 XLT
      93 Festiva L (Modified)
      92 Festiva L
      68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

well i'm going to need it done on several pieces of pipe, and i'm planing on putting the pipe together "as i go", so that i can measure/cut/test/adjust... if i can design it so i only need one flair i may just take that piece to the shop i usually go to and see what they would charge me, their usually real cheap.

the purpose of making the flairs is to avoid having to buy couplers/reducers, so i want to keep it on the cheap!
        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I would have said get one of those flare things fron Harbor Freight... Maybe you just got a bad one?

Comment

Working...
          X