5spd trany repair? diagrams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5spd trany repair? diagrams?

Well i'm planing on picking up two tranys from a guy i know, he said one of them "whines" and the other doesn't have reverse. My trany isn't bad yet but it grinds going into second most of the time, and now and then going into 3rd, so i'd like to have a spare laying around.

my question is do you think i can take apart the two tranys i pick up and make one good one? how difficult is it to take apart these tranys? its probably the only part of my car i haven't had in pieces, and Haynes doesn't have any information. Does the factory manual have anything? If so would anyone mind making a scan of the sections regarding trany internals?

just trying to figure out if two partially good tranys for $40 is a good deal or not... thanks
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Can do, last time I looked, alot of pages.
    Best off photo copying the entire chapter and putting in the mail.
    My factory manual is 1992
    PM if interested....I'll pay cost...will not mail until 1/2/08...please donate

or check out this site (this is wher i got my manuals)

Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

40 bucks each or 40 for them together? either way its an awesome deal!

Comment

$40 for both, + maybe some other parts (clutches, pressure plates, etc), their both from aspires.. he's got a few engines and two whole (wrecked) aspires he's trying to get rid of as well.

Thanks jglutz, i'll look into getting a factory manual then let you know if i'll take you up on the offer to photocopy some pages!
        ~Nate

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Nate, I've seen the MTX Festiva transaxle manuals on ebay before. Look and you may see one sometime.

With the proper manual, two transaxles and a lot of time, this should be a good education for you.

Now opening up an automatic transaxle--that's scary!

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
            Now opening up an automatic transaxle--that's scary!l
            Well Said
            Joe Lutz

Comment

40$ US for both tranny !!!! Man I've paid 325$ CAN for just one. Go and buy it now.

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz
                Originally posted by Safety Guy
                Now opening up an automatic transaxle--that's scary!l
                Well Said
                Panzies!! Slushboxes are easier than row-your-owns!
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^^What? No Way! I'd rebuild a Quad 4 (the worst thing to ever come out of Detroit) before I ever decided to break open an ATX that I needed
                  Joe Lutz

Comment

dude, seriously... if you can rebuild an engine, you can do an auto trans. They're actually very easy.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^^ I know their not that bad...I've done it....the problem is if when you have to open a hydraulic servo or relief valve for cleaning and do not have the set up spec or bench tools for proper re-assembly. Also...setting bands....not something for the novice. I admit I have never seen a Festiva ATX....but I've seen many others...Maybe I should have said I'd rip open a MTX blindfolded....An ATX, not without reading a manual first.
                      Joe Lutz

Comment

Nate, The final gear ratios between the Aspire and Festiva is slightly different - The aspire is a little lower most likely due to the added weight or bigger tires ??? .
                        Anyway, I have documentation for this transmission (M5 Mazda) which I just recently found when I was cleaning up (thought I had tossed it, but I didn't). If you PM me with your address, I will copy and send it to you - Only problem is that I won't be able to do it until early next week (I'm away from my garage right now). I had done two of these trans and the are a little tricky, but nothng that you can't work through. Just don't split the case until you get the manual - there are detent ball and springs which need to be removed first. Also the transmission rebuild kit is available at Auto Zone - they are around $120. Biggest issue is the input shaft bearing (away from the engine) going bad - Very common around 200K miles depending on how hard it was driven. If you have any question feel free to contact me - I'll respond to your PM with my phone number.
                        Best Wishes to you and yours in the New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof
                          Nate, The final gear ratios between the Aspire and Festiva is slightly different - The aspire is a little lower most likely due to the added weight or bigger tires ???
                          yes i've read about the aspire final drive ratio, but i have aspire wheels and tires, so perhaps having an aspire trany would actually put my spedo back at the right speed? And it would probably pick up my acceleration a little, but lose me a little bit of MPG's. Well thanks for the tips so far!
                          ~Nate

Current cars:

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

O.K. Should make you a little quicker out of hole.
                            Like I mentioned earlier, if you need anything, let me know - Any friend of CarbonVmax (NeaderPaul) is a friend of mine. He bailed me out when my 5 speed went bad (Got a 4 speed from him) and encouraged me to open the 5 speed up. Plus he is a pretty good entertainer - I still occasionally listen to some of the songs on the CD I got from him. So .. bottom line - Don't be bashful

Comment

Need a look at a manual for a 93 transaxle, rebuilt it but shifts hard and doesn't go into neutral like it should. As far as I know everything is "stacked" right.

revilo

Comment

Working...
                              X