Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical wiring corrosion issue - SOLVED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical wiring corrosion issue - SOLVED!

I have a 90 Festy. I noticed the other day that the dome light, seat belt warning light, and door buzzer would stay on even when the door was closed. I figured it was a simple issue with the door switch, but that wasn't the case.

When I put the car in reverse, the activation of the reverse lights would stop the lights and buzzer, but as soon as I came out of reverse they would come back on. So I thought it was something haywire in the reverse light circuit - nope.

I basically gutted out the little rice grinder, removing the seats, carpet, and headliner in order to trace the wiring to the problem.

Under the dash, on the drivers side just above the left kick panel are several key electrical connections. They were sopping wet. I unplugged them to find a massive amount of corrosion had built up from the moisture inside of them and was causing a false ground in the door buzzer circuitry. I cleaned them and applied a liberal amount of de-ox inside each connector. I plugged them back together and BINGO- no more electrical gremlins.

So, what was causing the moisture? well, I thought it must be coming in from a hole behind the drivers fender, so off it came - I found nothing. I poured water into the windshield wiper compartment - nothing. I finally poured water around the radio antenna, and drip drip drip. So, I used black RTV silicone under the base gasket of the antenna, and it fixed the problem.

So, I hope this helps some of you avoid the frustration of electrical issues.

John
    Dang!......It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Nice to know...welcome to the site.....and what seemed like a good idea at the time?
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Those are the famous last words of a shadetree mechanic.
      Dang!......It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Comment

Very satisfying huh shukmeister? Good job on the trouble shooting.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

This is great information. I was getting moisture in the same area in my previous festy. I would have never thought about it getting in there! I bet this is happening more than people know. I will be checking this out. Thanks alot for posting what you found.
          '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
          '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
          '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
          '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
          '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
          '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
          '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

dude, found this on accident! but I think that might be the issue I'm having with my yellow car.

just a quick breakdown... battery does hold charge, but with or without help of a battery tender/starter, turning the key doesn't do anything. no clicks, no noise anywhere, nothing. connecting the tender to give plenty of cranking amps turns on the brake lights and headlights and all the cluster lights IIRC. after removing the tender cables they stay on until you wiggle the negative battery cable and then they "click" off. pretty crazy. I got a different column switch thinking that may help. (haven't checked yet) will get back later on that.

very interesting to know about the antenna gasket, etc. thanks for posting!!

edit>> holy resurrection! 3 years! lol
            Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Working...
            X