Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad of a job to replace head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad of a job to replace head gasket?

So I really hate leaks, and my head gasket is leaking.... oil. It's leaking out the front corner of the engine where it meets the trans, so although I replaced the valve cover gasket and it's cleaner that other head gasket leak is annoying.

How bad of a job is it to replace just the head gasket? Can I re-use the head bolts? Can I leave the manifolds on when I remove the head to save some labor?

93 fuel injected manual, no AC. The gasket is like $9 from RockAuto plus shipping and I'm sure I can DIY the work, just couldn't find a good thread with pics on the job to research a bit first.
    Last edited by 93FestyEh; 12-23-2018, 04:59 PM.

The head bolts can be re-used. You can leave the manifolds on, I have done it that way and just dropped the tailpipe at the collector. Tie wrap the timing belt to the camshaft pulley and then remove the pulley. This will allow you to reinstall and not lose timing which saves job time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

You should use a straight edge to check for flatness. Or just have the head resurfaced. Will need a torque wrench to bolt the head back

Comment

OK cool. I have a top notch torque wrench.

Comment

It will still be out of time if the crank moves at all or the belt moves a tooth or more on the crank pulley I always paint as many reference dots on anything I can just to be sure nothing has moved. I would not use a cheap headgasket I agree you ought to make sure its not warped, but sure wouldn't surface one that wasn't warped just because it was off.
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
            It will still be out of time if the crank moves at all or the belt moves a tooth or more on the crank pulley I always paint as many reference dots on anything I can just to be sure nothing has moved. I would not use a cheap headgasket I agree you ought to make sure its not warped, but sure wouldn't surface one that wasn't warped just because it was off.
            Yes for sure. Since he appears to be mechanically inclined, I assumed he knew to take precautions on stabilizing the belt, crank and cam to ensure correct timing at reassembly.

"Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
            “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Originally posted by dalebwilson View Post

Yes for sure. Since he appears to be mechanically inclined, I assumed he knew to take precautions on stabilizing the belt, crank and cam to ensure correct timing at reassembly.

Oh I'm with you on assuming people know what you know,.but it's bit me too many times. I traded a guy once a running stock vw motor for a blown up big valve,big bore counterweighted motor, he called the next day and said the motor didn't run and was mad I went over and asked what he had done to it ,his response nothing I just replaced the plugs and points,but he gapped the points on the flat side of the distributor lobe. I would assume since he could change points he knew how to gap them.My bad.
              30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

B4 you tear down - make sure its not just the distributor o-ring - they leak like a sieve. `
                186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
                1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
                1992 aqua L (agua)
                1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

Working...
                X