cooling issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooling issue

Hey guys so I have a cooling fan that will not turn on by itself. The fan itself works, the past few weeks I have just had the electrical connector hard wired to the battery and would just connect to the positive side of the battery when the engine got too hot. I have checked the circuit and found a blown fuse which i had thought was the problem, but replacing it made no difference on the fan's operation. I do have a temperature reading from a sensor that goes directly into the radiator. I also suspected the cooling fan switch which threads into the thermostat housing, but replacing that did not change anything either. Also worth noting, my engine temperature sensor (the one on the intake manifold) makes my car idle inconsistently when I plug it in. I replaced that as well and again it made no difference. I just drive it with it unplugged, and the car runs a bit rich with a CEL, but hey it drives well. What is going on here? Thank you.
    1991 Ford Festiva
    1995 mazda miata
    1987 chevy sprint turbo

Which year is it?

Comment

If with a good fuse (check that your new one didnt blow right away) the fan does not come on when you unplug the sensor on the thermostat housing with the car running i would guess that the fan relay failed.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

So after investigation, that cooling fan fuse would keep failing, so i just replaced the whole relay as a unit and that fixed my problem! Thank you for your help it is a big relief to leave the car with my little brother with one less worry.
        1991 Ford Festiva
        1995 mazda miata
        1987 chevy sprint turbo

Comment

Working...
        X