Speedometer swap or tach swap how

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer swap or tach swap how

I’ve got a usable ‘88 LX with 143,000 miles anda few glitches. The tach needle stops at 1,000. Went to pick n pull and got a beautiful (but untested) cluster with tach. But the speedo reads 385,000 miles (very impressive). I’d like to put my speedo into the “new” cluster. It looks intimidating. How hard is it to swap just the speedo. Although it might be easier to just replace the tach, my old cluster does not have the white plastic molding and the lights look weird (see previous post “What’s going on here”).

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The tachometer is not part of the speedometer. The tachometer runs off the coil and counts the number of electrical impulses to get engine revolutions per minute. I guess it counts the number of spark plug impulses and divides by four. The speedometer on the other hand runs off the transmission and counts revolutions of the wheels by way of a rotating cable. Hope that helps.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
    X