1990 Festiva Manual Transmission - Replace Input Shaft Bearings Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Festiva Manual Transmission - Replace Input Shaft Bearings Help

Update to post below. I am changing my mind about doing the transmission here at home. I think it's crazy to try it. Now looking for a place to take it to rebuild it. New/rebuilt one is $850 at AutoZone. AAMCO charges $450 to rebuild, plus $100 for rebuild kit. Any other suggestions????

Transmission is sitting on the garage floor, again, after finding out that the noise [see my other post] wasn't the throwout bearing/clutch. Further reading, we're looking at the Input Shaft Bearings being the culprit. It and Input & Output Shaft Seals are on order. Is there anything I should know before I start? I understand I need a press to remove and re-install the bearings on the input shaft. Is there a particular one I need for this car, will they know what this is at the auto parts store? No, I've never seen the inside of a transmission. My neighbor and I are willing to give it a go, with the possible help from his uncle who rebuilds tractor transmissions - don't laugh. Is it straight forward? What about the "springs and balls for the detents" I read about that I have to capture before I split the case? Is there a trick to removing and re-installing those??? Any advice would be MOST appreciated. If any of you are out and about, feel free to stop by.....
    Last edited by SLW in Oregon; 01-16-2019, 11:16 AM.

Have you looked for a used transmission off a parts car? There is a buy-and-sell forum on this site.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Update: It's all fixed. My neighbor, and his uncle who rebuilds farm machinery transmissions for a living, were willing to tackle it. After ordering and receiving multiple incorrect parts from various auto parts stores, I finally found an OEM input shaft bearing at Advanced Technologies, Inc. [bearings supplier, etc.]. Everything is back together, runs and drives like new. Now I'm trying to find a speedometer gear because the bolt-down tab snapped off when I was fiddling with it.... Dang.

Comment

Originally posted by SLW in Oregon View Post
        Update: It's all fixed. My neighbor, and his uncle who rebuilds farm machinery transmissions for a living, were willing to tackle it. After ordering and receiving multiple incorrect parts from various auto parts stores, I finally found an OEM input shaft bearing at Advanced Technologies, Inc. [bearings supplier, etc.]. Everything is back together, runs and drives like new. Now I'm trying to find a speedometer gear because the bolt-down tab snapped off when I was fiddling with it.... Dang.
        Good to hear that its fixed! You dont need that tab on the speedo gear. A lot of us have them snapped off and people who havent snapped theirs dont put the bolt in anyway. Just make sure its shoved down there good and it wont come out.
        Or you can replace it, just wanted you to know that you dont need to

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X