1989 festival will run perfect for 30mins to an hour then stall out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 festival will run perfect for 30mins to an hour then stall out

1989 festiva will run perfect for 30mins to an hour then stall out .car will start right back but will die as soon as you give it has. You can start it back 3 or 4 times and it will eventually take off and run fine for hours or it may do it again in 5mins? I've changed fuel pump, MAF sensor,fue f filter , fuel pump relays, and checked grounds. I don't know where else to look .there seems to be no specific time it will do it
    Last edited by Mtnman93; 01-27-2019, 11:19 PM.

When the distributor starts going bad it will quit running after it warms up. When it cools down will run again till it warms up.

Comment

Yeah, probably the ignition control module in the distributor,

Comment

^^ Intermittent stalling is a symptom of a deteriorating ignition control module. They fail when the heat up and work again after cooling down. I don't know of a cheap way to test them other than swapping in a known good distributor off another car. Last time I needed one they were still available of the Internet. There is also a thread at the top of this forum on checking EFI distributors which might be of help. Before changing the module it can pay to check and eliminate all other ignition components first. Bedding a new module in dielectric heat transfer paste, the stuff they put under the CPU in computers and available cheap from electronics stores, is one way of lengthening the lifespan.
        Last edited by WmWatt; 01-28-2019, 11:12 AM.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks for the replys .I thought about that but it will instantly fire back up and idle but as soon as you give it fuel it dies .it will do this 3 or 4 times until you get it to rev up .then it will take off and run fine maybe all day or 5 mins

Comment

Check to make sure your afm plug is tight and clean.
            make sure the afm door moves freely and is not sticking. Am assuming you have an 89 auto if it's efi.

Comment

Is this '89 carbureted? Check the rubber fuel line at the bottom of the firewall as it's known to collapse (the thing is 30 years old) under suction from the fuel pump on the engine.
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

crazyrog17 it's the crazy 89 EFI. I did however swap the engine from a 1991 into the car recently . I had to swap the distributor over out of the 89 to get it to fire . Also had to change injectors and injector wiring harness over from 89 to get wiring harness plugs to match. I'm hoping it's ignition control module as suggested by others on here .I had another distributor so I switched them over this afternoon .It was getting late so I just fired it up and parked it .I will test it out tomorrow or Wednesday. Calling for snow here in Boone NC tomorrow so I may have to drive the truck to work tomorrow .

Comment

William I swapped another over to car last week. It ran the same with both. That was my first thought also .

Comment

William the car was auto but I swapped out 4spd about 1yr ago

Comment

I did notice tonight after swapping distributors that when I turned headlights on car slightly idled up .Before it would pull rpm down slightly?

Comment

Turned out to be the ignition module. Thanks for all the help. You hit the nail on the head first thing .

Comment

Working...
                        X