1988 ford festiva not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 ford festiva not starting

any idea where the fuel pump is on my ford festiva 1988? I checked under the back seat only to figure out its not there only the fuel gage sensor I think

Welcome to the forum 20elo. Your '88 has a carburetor and a mechanical fuel pump. The fuel pump is on the front of the head. It is driven off the camshaft and is held in place by two 8mm (12mm head size) bolts.
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

thanks rick I appreciate the help

Comment

Your mechanical fuel pump sucks fuel from the tank so there is a vacuum in the fuel line. After sitting for a few days you need to pump the gas pedal a few times to prime when starting. Stick the end of the line in a container to catch the fuel. The fuel injected engine pump is in the tank and forces the fuel to the engine under pressure so there is pressure in the line. For the mechanical pump the line can be disconnected at the engine while cranking to see if fuel is flowing. Also a leaking pump will often have a visible fuel leak where it connects to the egnine.
        Last edited by WmWatt; 01-31-2019, 08:35 AM.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
        X