Code 17 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code 17 Help

All, I'm looking for some direction to help keep my car going. It is a 93 festiva with 252000 miles. Lately, after the car gets warmed up, the car will stumble under very light throttle. After a while the CEL will come on. When I take my foot off of the throttle, the CEL will always go out. I finally got around to checking the CEL save code, and it is 17. The hanes manual was vague with lots of possible suggestions. I did put new cap, rotor, wires, plugs in a couple thousand miles ago. I did use higher quality parts instead of just the cheapies. The symptoms were there before the new parts. Another observation is that the engine has been using oil lately. Not sure if this has anything to do with my problems or not, but wanted to put it out there. I was thinking that maybe the burned oil is playing havoc with the O2 sensor? Not sure. I don't want to just throw parts at it as this car is only going to last me another year or so.

Looking at this old post looks like you may need a new o2 sensor or your car is legitimately running rich or lean. I would start with a Fuel Filter and if that doesn't help a new o2 sensor.
    Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

^^ before replacing try disconnecting and cleaning contacts. That cleared up a problem I had with a sensor recently.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
      X