• Show
Clear All

• Mtnman93
    replied
    I already replaced ignition switch .didn didn't fix the problem

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker
    replied
    ing. switch is bad. jiggling during driving cuts it off. try bypassing or replacing switch. As these cars get older this is becoming a more common problem.

Leave a comment:

• Mtnman93
    replied
    I could really use some advice on this . It seems as though when it stalls out that turning the key off then back on is resetting what ever is causing car to shut off .all lights ,starter and everything electrical still works when car stalls it just seems to have no fire until you turn switch off and back on

Leave a comment:

• Mtnman93
    replied
    Ok, I just took car for a drive and about 30mins it shutoff. I tried starting with switch still in the on position .it would just turn over and not fire. Checked fuel line and plenty of fuel at rail .kept trying to crank and nothing .As soon as I turned switch off then back on car fired right up???

Leave a comment:

• Mtnman93
    replied
    Is there a speed sensor, cam sensor crank sensor or something on these cars that could cause this?

Leave a comment:

• Mtnman93
    replied
    Dalebwilson I will check but car will run fine until warmed up and then only if driving. Will idle all day and not shut off

Leave a comment:

• Mtnman93
    replied
    I tried 2 modules out 2 distributors I had and 1 new module and then a brand new distributor and cap. Same problem

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker
    replied
    Were they new or used module? Used module could be bad.

Leave a comment:

• dalebwilson
    replied
    With the engine running, wiggle the 3 wires going to the ignition control module. I had a bad connection in one near the connector and it would die going down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• 1989 EFI festiva will run perfect for 30mins to an hour then stall out

Ok guys I thought you all hit the nail on the head with it being the ignition module. It ran good after swapping out the distributor for about 4 days then started doing the same thing again .it will sit and idle all day but as soon as it gets warmed up it will just shut off going down the road .Most of the time you can turn key off then back on and it will pick back up for a few minutes then quit again. It seems to happen sooner if pulling a hill .You can let it sit for a few minutes then go a few miles before it cut out again. I have tried everything. 3 different ignition modules, 2 fuel pumps,VAF valve, 2 different coils and coil wire,even changed the 3 wire fuse panel under the hood and just put a brand new distributor in last night . Ran good for 30mins then just cut out .it started right back(only after turning switch of and back on) and I drove couple miles back home .I also changed ignition switch and 2 new fuel pump relays. I don't know what else to do?
Working...
X