1989 EFI festiva will run perfect for 30mins to an hour then stall out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 EFI festiva will run perfect for 30mins to an hour then stall out

Ok guys I thought you all hit the nail on the head with it being the ignition module. It ran good after swapping out the distributor for about 4 days then started doing the same thing again .it will sit and idle all day but as soon as it gets warmed up it will just shut off going down the road .Most of the time you can turn key off then back on and it will pick back up for a few minutes then quit again. It seems to happen sooner if pulling a hill .You can let it sit for a few minutes then go a few miles before it cut out again. I have tried everything. 3 different ignition modules, 2 fuel pumps,VAF valve, 2 different coils and coil wire,even changed the 3 wire fuse panel under the hood and just put a brand new distributor in last night . Ran good for 30mins then just cut out .it started right back(only after turning switch of and back on) and I drove couple miles back home .I also changed ignition switch and 2 new fuel pump relays. I don't know what else to do?

With the engine running, wiggle the 3 wires going to the ignition control module. I had a bad connection in one near the connector and it would die going down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Were they new or used module? Used module could be bad.

Comment

I tried 2 modules out 2 distributors I had and 1 new module and then a brand new distributor and cap. Same problem

Comment

Dalebwilson I will check but car will run fine until warmed up and then only if driving. Will idle all day and not shut off

Comment

Is there a speed sensor, cam sensor crank sensor or something on these cars that could cause this?

Comment

Ok, I just took car for a drive and about 30mins it shutoff. I tried starting with switch still in the on position .it would just turn over and not fire. Checked fuel line and plenty of fuel at rail .kept trying to crank and nothing .As soon as I turned switch off then back on car fired right up???

Comment

I could really use some advice on this . It seems as though when it stalls out that turning the key off then back on is resetting what ever is causing car to shut off .all lights ,starter and everything electrical still works when car stalls it just seems to have no fire until you turn switch off and back on

Comment

ing. switch is bad. jiggling during driving cuts it off. try bypassing or replacing switch. As these cars get older this is becoming a more common problem.

Comment

I already replaced ignition switch .didn didn't fix the problem

Comment

There are a number of emission control sensors and actuators but my understanging is if any goes bad it should just turn on the check engine light and drop back to less efficient open loop mode and keep running.

I can't remember all that has been done to the vehicle but has the fuel filtre been inspected or replaced recently? I think you aready checked the pump in the gas tank for dirt. Is "fuel at the rail" the same as "fuel flow at the rail"? (Mine has a carburettor.)

When engine cuts out maybe leave key in ON and try wiggling wires then start? Might locate loose or dirty cnonection that way? Also could try randomly disconnecting connectors, spraying with WD-40 or contact cleaner, and connecting-disconnecting a few times to clean contacts.. I've sprayed WD-40 into ignition key hole to clear problems.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I have changed fuel filter and today I left key on when it died . Then tried moving wires connectors and kept teytrying start. Nothing until I turned switch off then back to start .fired right up

Comment

Could it be the computer acting up??

Comment

First thing is see if you have spark when it does.No spark when it does do you have voltage to the coil key on engine off?I find it hard to believe you have two distributors with an intermittent problem.More likely it is the coil shutting down when it gets hot.Are you using the correct coil for your festiva? All coils are not the same, if you run a coil designed for external ballast without a ballast They fail super quick.If you run one with the wrong internal resistance the fry ignition modules real quick.
                            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

with it being a automatic trans car maybe their is a problem in the circuit that keeps the car from starting in gear? Try bypassing this circuit so it starts in gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X