Weird looking sealer stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird looking sealer stuff

So with the end of the ice racing season I am going to have to do some body work.
    The driver side rear quarter panel was punched in by a VW Scirrocco, when we all took to a snow bank to avoid destroying our cars on a stranded Chevette.

But what is this weird stuff hanging our of the seam between the quarter panel and the wheel well? It seems to be a cork impregnated rubber compound intended to seal the outside edge of the panel to the steel of the wheel well enclosure?
    Weird stuff, I never expected to find this as part of the rear fender.

Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
    Icetiva-3-race-car-build
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Yeah, they put foam in there. Problem is it traps moisture from condensation and body panel rusts from inside. People on here have reported it is a popular spot for body rust. I pop the rubber plug and spray oil in there once a year.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yeah it's some kind or seam sealer but it''s like open cell foam . Soaks up moisture and makes that seam rust out. I've had them where there just started to rust and that stuff would squeeze out water if you poke it with a screw driver.

Comment

Working...
      X