Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

88 festiva steering rack swap to 90-94 steering rack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 festiva steering rack swap to 90-94 steering rack.

Hey! I’ve got an 88 festiva and the steering rack is about shot. I’m wanting to get a rebuilt one from the festiva store. What all do I need to do the swap? I’ve heard the steering rack brackets are different also I need inner tie rod ends form a 90-94. Can I use my 88 outer tie rod ends? Anything else I’ll need to replace or any parts I need to buy along with the steering rack?

You pretty much nailed it - the rubber mounts that go from the steering rack to the body are different (ask Ben when you order, he may have some extras) and the inner rod ends are different.
    The outer rod ends are the same, and everything else should be fine.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

SK-

So, please confirm that this is what you're saying:

1. Rebuilt 88-89 racks are not available.
      2. 90-93 racks are available, and are suitable drop-in replacements for 88-89 racks, provided one has good-condition 90-93 bushings to go with them.
      3. There are no known sources for new bushings, not even for 90-93 racks.

Is there any reason I should NOT "upgrade" the racks in all of my 88/89 LXs (of which have a total of four -- I like LXs) to 90-93 racks, provided I have good-condition 90-93 bushings to go with them?

If all of the above is true, has anybody looked into getting 90-93 rack bushings manufactured, or a suitable good-fit alternative for them? How about Kia Rio rack bushings? I've had good luck with substituting 2002 Rio rubber parts onto Festies, particularly the rubber "spring cushions" that sit on top of the coil springs. In fact, I recently bought all of Kia's remaining spring cushion parts nationwide -- about 10 of them.

I think I will the rack from one of my GL parts cars to the local Kia dealer on Monday to see what's available in the way of new bushings that fit them.
      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 04-06-2019, 06:29 AM.
      88L black, dailydriver
      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg
      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

I just realized that I posted above to the wrong thread -- I thought SK was replying to the similar thread I had started!
        88L black, dailydriver
        88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg
        3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
        1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
        X