Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1989 LX with worn-out steering rack -- what are my replacement options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 LX with worn-out steering rack -- what are my replacement options?

My pristine Sunday-best Festiva, an 89LX, has a worn-out steering rack that makes metal-on-metal sounds whenever I hit a bump in the road (passenger side).

I've searched the past few years of posts on the subject and get the impression that 88-89 and 90-93 racks may not be interchangeable.

I see that the Festiva Store offers a rebuilt rack, but only for "90-93."

I see a lot of racks on eBay. Some say 89-93, others only 90-93. Some say aluminum, some don't specify material. What gives?

I have a pair of GL/automatic parts cars here with manufacture dates of 1/91 and 1/92. Would racks from those fit my 89?

I think I have a bunch of racks in AK (from cars I disassembled there 10+ years ago), but can't get up there until summer. I don't recall what year cars I disassembled.

What are my options here? I could pull the rack one of the GL/automatic parts cars here tomorrow/Saturday. At least one of those parts cars has ripped rack dust boots, so their racks may not be usable. If I do remove the rack from one of those cars, how would I be able to tell if it's a suitable replacement (dimensionally, etc.) for the bad rack in the 89LX? I don't want to mess with shortening tie rods or anything like that. I'm doing this work outside in the rain.

The 89LX is currently my only running Festy here in WA, so I need to solve this problem soon!!!

Thanks.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 04-05-2019, 11:29 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

If the rack from one of the auto is good, use that. You can, however, use any rack, be it 88/89 or 90/93 as either will fit the steering knuckle. The inner tie rods are different and the brackets are different. Just use brackets and inner tie rods for which ever rack it is
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Dan,

The rack in the auto parts car has torn boots, so I think I should buy this:

http://www.thefestivastore.com/item/...-steering-rack

from The Festiva Store on Monday with fast shipping.

I removed the rack mounting brackets from the auto parts car, and assume I need rubber bushings from it as well. It's hard to get the bushings off it cleanly since I can't disconnect the steering U-joint from inside the car b/c I don't have an ignition key so the steering is locked and I can't rotate stuff to get at the nuts on the U-joints.

Is there a source for new bushings for the 90-93 rack? It's always better to use new rubber parts, of course!
      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 04-07-2019, 04:48 PM.
      88L black, dailydriver
      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg
      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
      X