ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition switch

can any one tell me where i can find an ignition switch for a 1989 festiva its an automatic if that matters

eBay or junk yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

eBay or junk yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try the buy-and-sel forum on this site. Members have parts cars.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

You should know that this is not an entirely trivial replacement. The ignition key assembly is mounted by a clamp on the steering column, but the screws are designed so that the heads break off as they are tightened up, so they can not be unscrewed, They need to be cut off. That's OK when removing yours, which is broken anyhow. But if you get one off a wreck or someone's parts car, you are going to have to sort out how to remove it in good shape, and then how to get it to remount on your car.
          Last edited by Icedawg; 04-12-2019, 11:37 AM.
          Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
          Icetiva-3-race-car-build
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Following up on what Ice wrote, people have overhauled ignition switches. The easiest is to spray a cleaner into the keyhole and work it in with the key. That can solve some problems. I've used WD-40, others have used contact cleaner and maybe other solvents. I can't remember if you can get at the contacts just by removing the plastic cover but at least one member has posted photos of cleaning the contacts with the switch removed. Depends on how much work you can put into it and if you can be without the car while you work on it.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

thanks for all your advice. i got the old one off and wired up a an old fork lift switch.it works great.the old switch was burnt on the plastic.

Comment

Removing the special screws is easy walk them backwards with a dull chisel and hammer replace with Allen's or cut a slot for a screw driver in the old ones.The electrical portion of the switch comes out with a single Phillips screw.
                30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                X