Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overcharging

Hey guys,

I have a 93 festiva. My issue started when I took the car to the drive-in and the battery died so I jumped it. The main useable link blew. No big deal. Now when the car is running the inline fuse that I replaced the fuse able link with gets so hot that you can't touch it. I have replaced the alternator and battery about 3 times. Today I installed a new alternator and it is co instantly pulling 15v. I took it back off and had it tested (tested good). Does anyone have any idea where I should look next.

Shouldn't a fuse that hot, um, fuse? What amperage fuse are you using. The charging voltage from the alternator at the battery should be 14.7 when the engine is idling so that's not so high. Is it the right alternator for the vehicle?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I had an issue very similar in my very first Festiva back in 07. If I remember correctly it may have had something to do with the automatic seatbelt module that is under the driver seat. Try unplugging it and see if that helps any?

Also what WmWatt said, what amperage do you have installed inline in place of the Fusible Link?
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Alright so I took the alternator off and had it tested it tested at 14.65 V the views run using is a 40 amp in line fuse and they get so hot that it actually melts the fuse I will try the seatbelt actuator later today but other that I have no idea. It is the correct alternator. With vehicle running it is pulling 15.56 volts

Comment

Check for corrosion at the main fuse on the drivers strut tower. I had this problem when I left my lights on ando my battery went dead. After jumping it the it was charging so hard it blue the main fuseable link within the covering. The link looked fine, But was blown within. After several blowen pink long legged pal fueses I cleaned the spades where the fuses connect and never had a problem again.

Comment

Working...
          X