not getting power suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not getting power suggestions

i have almost given up on my 91 festiva i replaced the clutch it was running but not properly now it has stopped starting took it to a repair shop but they didnt seem to know much they told me it was getting the power it needed to that it would go to start and die out they said this could possibly be the ecm? i just need suggestions before i spend alot of time trying to find it and wasting time

Needs Fuel, Spark, and Compression. Make sure it is getting those three first as well as make sure the VAF is plugged in.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Don't know what they mean by "getting power". My car would start and die right way due to a faulty ignition control module. They last longer when embedded in dielectric heat transfer paste, the stuff the put under the CPU in computers.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
        Needs Fuel, Spark, and Compression. Make sure it is getting those three first as well as make sure the VAF is plugged in.
        How do I check those it seems to go to start but them doesn't then afterwords it just go to turnover

Comment

With the fuel you could unhook one of the fuel lines going to the injector rail and cycle the key, if fuel comes out the you've got it going into the rail. Air you open throttle valve and put your hand near it to see if you can feel it sucking it in. With spark you could undo the wires one by one and get someone to try to start the car and you can hold a screwdriver close to the wire to see if there is spark.( You Can Get Shocked doing it this way)

Comment

FUEL
            Pull the Fuel line off at the Fuel rail and put the hose in a bottle then crank the car for a second.

SPARK
            Pull a spark plug out and hold it against the exhaust manifold while someone is cranking and see if there is a spark going to the grounding strap.

COMPRESSION
            Buy or Rent a compression tester, pull all the spark plugs out and check each cylinder. Check Youtube for more detailed instructions.
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

ok it is getting fuel pulled wire with spark plug and touched to manifold and got nothing if i did this right where do i go from here

Comment

easiest and cheapest is to inspect ignition components - plugs, wries, cat, rotor, coil for looseness, dirt and corrosion. if you have a volt/ohm meter you can check coil for current (actually voltage from battery) and wires for resistance (to much and the current won't flow). next would be ignition control module I think.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

If you have a no spark condition it can be caused by several different components in the ignition system. The number 1 source of no spark on a festive is the igniter also called "ignition module". Its the tiny module mounted on the coil bracket. If you have any Pull and Pay junk yards near you that would be your best bet to find one or two. They can be found on most Mazda products of the late eighties to early-mid nineties. They will usually have "Mitsubishi 701" stamped, printed or embossed on them. I can get them for $5 where I live and always have a spare in my glove box. Next on the list is the distributor. My '93 was purchased very cheaply because of an intermittent spark. After spending too many hours trouble shooting, a junkyard distributor got it running. Good luck!
                  Last edited by Rick the Quick; 06-24-2019, 03:04 AM.
                  '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                  '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                  '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Working...
                  X