88 festiva "the dragon"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 festiva "the dragon"

Hey guys been a while since I been on here. I had my 88 festiva stickshift sitting for a while needs a new engine so was wondering what engine can I bolt in easy I seen some 93 94 aspire engine cheap was thinking about. Just need engine compatibility chart as to what I can put into it.hard to find anyone in my area with one of these bad boys. Oh yeah I love this car don't want it to die got its name the dragon because when I first bought it and I used to start it up the belts squeaked really loud and it smoke out the front like a dragon so my little nephew at the time called it a dragon. I kinda was thinking about junking it but naaaah...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-For...d=182127560197

This might help- if you can find the head and oil pan- the 88 you have is probably a carb model- there is a cam on it to drive the mechanical fuel pump the others won't have, so you'd have to set up an electric fuel pump to the carburetor, but other than that, there is not much difference, except for motor mounts and trannys maybe. I don't know- waaay beyond me.

My 88 ran for ever.
    88 festy.jpghtd
    Last edited by harpon; 05-26-2019, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Mazda B series engines are bolt compatible but the arrangement of things in the engine compartment differs between the Festiva carburetted and fuel injected models. Try the "custom engine and drivetrain" forum on this site. Also the Wikipedia write-up on the Mazda B series engines.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Awe man I wasn't in for all that I just wanted to pull a engine from one and drop it in not sure if I wanna setup fuel pumps and what not.maybe I can find one around that runs or a forum member with access to one.

Comment

I'm afraid the numbers are against your carbed car otherwise- those were made in 88 and part of 89.
          Everything after- all Festys and Aspires are fuel-injected and lack the motor cam to drive the mechanical fuel pump. I don't know if that can be added.

On the other hand, generic fuel pumps that are cheap and run at lesser pressure. You'd only need to put in a generic relay and attach to an ignition 'run' source. Probably the easiest option. If you can put in another motor, you can probably do THAT, or whoever did.

There are three or four motor listings on ebay, and all of them are FI motors

Comment

here's an inline low pressure pump that could probably drive your carb. If my EFI systems cant deliver, maybe I'll switch to a carb myself ! Fraid I don't have the ability.

Comment

OK thanks guys I'm gonna have to consider what my options are. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Working...
              X