No announcement yet.

where is ecm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One time when my ignition control module (ICM) was dying after intermittent stalling I took it to the garage and they said it would run for less than a minute and die so they couldn't tell what the problem was but they suspected the ICM. So I bought one off the Internet, they put it on, and it was fine.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I would put my money on the distributor. It is actually called the cam angle sensor and when I bought my '93 it was not running due to no spark. I pulled it home and put a battery in it and to my surprise it fired right up. I went around back to get the air hose and the engine quit. I checked for spark and had none. Not having a repair manual at the time I checked the obvious : fuseable links, the coil to distributor wire, the cap and rotor. Not finding any obvious problems I hit the U-Pull It salvage yard and bought an ignitor (or ICM/ignition control module) and coil for $10. Put them on and she started right up and ran for a minute or 2 and died. Talked to a guy with a small wrecking yard and he told me back in the day he bought and sold a bunch of Festivas. He told me that it was not unusual for the cars to end up at the junk yard because of dying / shutting off intermittently. He told me that 90% of the time a used distributor would fix them. In the case of my '93 it did the trick. And for the paltry sum of $25. As for the repair shop telling you it is the ECU, I would lay money on them being wrong. It is very rare for one to fail. I heard that when you buy a re- manufactured ECU there is a good chance that it is a used ECU that has been cleaned but otherwise untouched. Why? Because it was turned in as a core unit from the shop that sold a remanufactured unit to a customer that didn't need one. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Working...
      X