Rear spindles, rear axle nuts,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear spindles, rear axle nuts,

A while back I stated I was looking for spindle nut shields so I could drill my spindles and not have to buy a new nut every time I removed a drum.Some said they open up the pinched nut with a punc and reuse it so I've been doing this awhile.If you are doing that I would stop.Something I didn't think of is the nuts are soft which is why we can dimple them.The threads will not take the abuse of repeated use..I learned the hard way.I was going around a corner just right hit a bump just right and pulled the threads out of my axle nut and ruined my spindle when the drum caught on it and ground the threads off the bottom side.Since this is the second festy 've put a rear spindle on I've learned some trickery to make the job faster and easier..1 mounting nut is inaccessible with the rear shock bolted in place.So I drilled the head off that bolt from the spindle side.Drove the remaining bits into the hollow of the control arm with a punch fished in an Allen bolt from the shock side.Yes you can get an Allen bolt and Allen wrench in with the shock in place. The Allen bolt has to be short and you will have to grind a flat spot on the nut to clear the bearing boss in the drum.I0've found dorman axle nut shields and rht 16x1.5 spindle nuts.Does anyone know if the spindles left and right are true 90s ?or do they have toe and or camber built into them.? I want to run two rht spindles and real axle nuts with cotter keys. But don't want to have problems aligning the car.
    Last edited by ricko1966; 09-18-2019, 10:03 PM.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

I have heard of people using two driver side spindles before because they ruined the passenger side and I don't think they had and issues. The FestivaStore.com has brand new spindles for sale and I believe there is only one part number.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Festiva store sells new ones, right and left are different because of the different threads but that is all. I have been running 2 passenger side spindles for 2 years now i believe. Others have used 2 drivers side spindles just fine.
      I have managed to get myself 2 castle cages but have not found the skinney nuts needed. If anyone wants to mail me some!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks.I realized I made a knee jerk reaction to a problem that really isn't a problem.Ill just quit reusing axle nuts and just buy new nuts a every time they worked for decades I didn't have a problem until I started reusing axle nuts.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

FwiwI believe the nuts and spindle nut shields from a Toyota tercel around 87ish will work but they are right hand thread no lht available the dorman number is 05197 you may have to tell your parts guy that is in the motormite help line but it is a kit. 1 nut 1 shield 1 thrust washer 1 cotter pin.Also some trailer places list spindle nut shields in 13/16 I was tempted to order some and shorten new stake nuts as needed.But then realized the problem with reusing them isn't that they are staked it is that they are soft.
          Last edited by ricko1966; 09-23-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X