hard shift into reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard shift into reverse

Well car is running like a champ, we did idle a little fast I have to check the TPS. I notice, after a drive or 2, shifting in revers, It seem it shifts hard, if I take it out of reverse then back in its fine. Was wondering if the clutch may need some adjustment? Had a new clutch put in a few years back before it was parked so it probably has less than 100 miles on the clutch. Was sure if it would be the clutch, the cable, or the OMG reverse synchronizer going bad.

Any comments, could be it be from a higher than normal of high idle?

It could also be the beginnings of a falling shifter. It sounds bad, but if it's the case- it's really a pretty easy fix, especially with the "window weld" fix. Three years ago I thought I was losing my tranny and ready to have the car hauled away when I found it was a fallen shifter- the fix took twenty minutes and setting up over night- and I haven't had any problems in thousands of miles since then.

See the pinned thread above and search it here, and check the shifter for up and down play- reverse is the first thing affected generally. It also helps I think to put in new bushings- I have some ready, but never gotten them installed yet.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Last edited by harpon; 09-26-2019, 12:14 AM.

Comment

as Harpon writes the shift lever bushings wear out. the shifting can become sloppy and inaccurate. the shift lever can drop out of the body. two separate issues from two separate bushings. hope that's your problem as they are DIY fixes.
      also note the rear is the only shift position with the spring - you have to push down on the stick to get it to shift. I'd look into that spring mechanism.
      One other DIY thing to do is check the fluid level in the transmission.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

You know I feel like such a newb for not thinking of that, I remember replacing them in my 91, in my stock of scabbed parts, I have a second sift rail and shift arm set as well. So I will have to get underneath and take look at that bushings. and Look at the link, I never had to do any realignment to much, but may have to review the link incase I do this time.

Saw someone mention the quick shifter, any information on that, or was that for mod models? Just my luck back in the 90's I loved my yellow beast, but never had extra money to do much with it, and that's when the guy had all the festiva stuff for sale only to find out now its pretty hard to find. Same thing happened to me in high school there must been 3 or 4 of us who all had the early 80 late 78,79s old German made fiesta's, I had an 81 someone brought in from Valencia Spain, it had a 1.3 vs the 1.6 US models, there was a company that made all the tuner stuff for them, wide body rear fenders, but never could afford it, just the grassroots magazine to look at them...…

Thanks for the link reference, are those bushings available. I believe my extra one should have them on it, I'll have to pull it out.see if there any good.

Comment

Read that somewhat on the aligning, but the window weld is interesting, so if the shift and shift ball drops down in, you fill up that cavity with 3M Window weld, to hold it up? on my 90 yellow one I did the bolt through the case as well before that I used a rubber tie strap hooked to to bolt in clamp holders. Eventually I replaced that shifter all together. The one I have in the garage the ball is good in place, in this 90 ill have to pull up the boot I don't think it dropped down, and I probably need to check the fluid as well, as the bushings.

See someone post on quick sift, and short shif, not sure if there they same on link the images didn't load not sure if its my pc or browser. Appears it was out of a civic. Well have some homework to do, thanks for the link.

Comment

As incredulous as it sounds, that's how it works- and I asked your question in just about the same way after someone told me about it. It has to set up overnight- but it works quite well.

I also put a half-assed cut out salsa jar lid with a worm clamp on the top to give it some more support- but it doesn't really even need that.

Comment

Working...
            X