How do I replace gear shift bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I replace gear shift bushings?

Hey so before I start, yes I searched for the answer already and I couldn’t find it. Maybe I wasn’t using the right key words but I failed to find an answer.

I’ve got a 2000 Festiva and I need the “gear shift bushes” replaced. It’s the ones on the u-joint that comes off close to the trans. I have removed the bolt that connects the linkage but where the bushings are that need replacing, it appears to be pressed in. How do I go about removing this part? I’m assuming I have to grind it off and just replace it with a suitably sized bolt?

or is this not something that can be done and the whole linkage needs replacing?

also I should add, welding is currently not an option.

Im trying to upload photos, they’re too large of a file so I will sort that out and post them soon

Cheers

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Photos look good. Haynes manual says "Remove the shift lever and the stabilizer bar and support as a single assembly". Assume that's what a professional mechanic would do but from looking in the manual it's a lot of work. You might be better off grinding off one end of the pin and trying to hammer/pull it out. I've not replaced that bushing. When I did the other bushing at the shifter end I unscrewed the pin and fabricated a sleeve out of copper plumbing pipe cut lengthwise and bent around the pin. Have you replaced the shifter end bushing? Lots of info on how to do that one has been posted on this site over the years. Maybe that would reduce the play enough?
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Here's the part number for the bushings - mazda B001-46-062. You can use a grinder or hacksaw or whatever to get the bolt out of there. Then get a replacement bolt that will fit and for best results, an aircraft nut so it doesn't jiggle loose. Pretty simple. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I’m trying to get the car registered and this is one of the only things that failed, all the other bushings are fine so not bothering replacing any others.

Comment

I'm glad that I live in FL where we can drive whatever we want without inspections...
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
            X