Starter delay/intermittent no start, no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter delay/intermittent no start, no power

Greetings, this is my first time back since I bought my second Festiva (1990 L) back in March. I got it running over the summer and its been a great daily driver so far.

Ever since I bought the car I've been having a weird issue with cranking. At first, there was almost always a delay after turning the key, sometimes for up to five seconds. I mostly got used to it because the car always started. I figured it was the starter motor solenoid. I could hear that motor itself was going bad. I mostly ignored it until last week.

Last week, it started getting worse; the car refused to crank after many attempts at turning the key. Some times it would engage for have a second or so, other times just a single click. After awhile, the dash lights stopped coming on when I turned the key to run, or sometimes they would come on dimly. Just when I was ready to take the bus home, I gave it one last try and it started up without any issue.

The dash lights not wanting to come on make me think it has something to do with the ignition switch. I went ahead and replaced the starter motor anyway because as I said it was already on its way out, and the issue persists. I tried taking the ignition switch out and tested for continuity between the pins. As per the diagram, 2 and 5 were closed when I turned it to start with a screw driver. 1 and 2 were also checking out okay. The car doesn't stall out while driving like some people have had happen to them with bad switches. I didn't check 3 and 4, because the radio and fan always came on (my fan stays on in run ). The new starter motor works, I have started the engine a few times with luck. It starts up without issue when it works. Now that I'm writing this I'm wondering if it's not the clutch switch, as I have not thought to check that...

The engine fuse under the bonnet has been replaced with a fuse holder and a 30 amp ATC fuse. There is not any corrosion around there, so I don't think its an issue with the engine fuse.

If I am able to narrow it down to the switch, I plan to try a Duralast LS849 ignition switch. It's for the Mazda pickup trucks (not for the Miata). Searching on the forums, I have seen one post mentioning a Miata ignition, but it doesn't look like anyone has thought of the B2200 ignition. It's the same shape and layout. One of the connectors is a different shape, but that can be easily "corrected". Even if this is not my issue, that information might be useful since the Festiva's is long out of stock. But it's 100 dollars near me, don't want to spend that money until I don't have a choice.

If anyone here has any suggestions for things to check, I'd be glad to hear them. Or if you think I'm wrong about LS849, give me a heads up.

Thanks,

-g

EDIT: I found a cheaper one on Rock Auto, and from their pictures it looks like it may not have a different shaped connector after all, so it should work out of the box. I'm more tempted to try it now. At least I would have a spare in case they discontinue it as well....
    Last edited by grot87; 11-14-2019, 01:10 AM.

People have taken the switch apart and refurbished. Try a search of this website. Sometimes just spraying WD-40 or contact cleaner into the keyhole and working it in with the key will fix problems.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Hi WmWatt, thanks for the reply. I've tried searching "WD-40" and only your post and another about parking brakes shows up. I also tried searching for "ignition refurbish" etc, but I haven't been able to find anything. I wonder that since I have the switch out, am I better off spraying it directly instead of going through the key barrel?

EDIT: I think I found it after I kept trying different keywords

I'll give this a shot and report back.
      Last edited by grot87; 11-14-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Update: WD-40 didn't seem to have an any effect, so I decided to try and open it up and follow that guide. Unfortunately, the white plastic shell shattered when I tried free one of the tabs. I tied to be as gentle as I could, but the whole thing was very brittle with age. Lots of corrosion and dirt in there. Looks like I'm gonna try for the B2200 ignition, I'll if post back if it works, or if I have to go for the push button route. The wires all match and the screw hole lines up with the Festiva. The notched part that fits into the key barrel also looks right. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Good news everyone!

The part arrived today, and it is a perfect match. Everything is identical and hooked up properly. The only difference I can see is that the wires are a bit longer, which is a welcome addition in my opinion. I installed it on my car right out of the box without having to modify anything. The car started right up without the least bit of fuss. So I can confirm that the ignition from a 1990 Mazda B2200 pickup truck will indeed fit a Ford Festiva.

Note: If you have a manual with a clutch switch, some of these have pictures with the clutch pedal wires, some without. The one I bought had them, but I never saw any listings actually differentiate the two types or mention a difference. So make sure you buy ones that have a picture with the clutch wires if you want a set. Unless I missed something :p

Now that we know this, do you know someone with a bad ignition switch? These will be awesome gifts for Festivus this year, after the traditional yelling of course.

Comment

That is great news! I personally have one that I purchased that someone had previously stolen and destroyed the column. I was going to pull one from my parts car but I am not sure if I have the key to that car or not.
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
              That is great news! I personally have one that I purchased that someone had previously stolen and destroyed the column. I was going to pull one from my parts car but I am not sure if I have the key to that car or not.
              I'm pretty sure he is talking just the electrical portion of the switch not the key and tumbler also. If you need a key and tumbler/ column lock assembly with key let me know I'm pretty sure I can come up with one.Also to those of you with mismatched locks you can cut one side if a new key for the ignition the other side of the same new key for the doors, now one key fits everything you just have to mark it so you know which side is up for ignition which side is up for doors.
              30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Ahhh. I will try to find the key to my parts car then lol. I will let you know if I end up needing one though.

Thanks
                "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                sigpic
                "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
                  I'm pretty sure he is talking just the electrical portion of the switch not the key and tumbler also. If you need a key and tumbler/ column lock assembly with key let me know I'm pretty sure I can come up with one.Also to those of you with mismatched locks you can cut one side if a new key for the ignition the other side of the same new key for the doors, now one key fits everything you just have to mark it so you know which side is up for ignition which side is up for doors.
                  You"re a genius ricko! Thanks for the tip.
                  Rick
                  '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                  '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                  '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Working...
                  X