Slipping clutch from water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipping clutch from water?

Had my 93 festiva parked under the awning of my carport for a weekend, rained and didn't think much of it, but ever since then I'm getting a chattering sound when pressing on the gas and my clutch is slipping in 4th and 5th -- wasn't even staying in 4th on my way home from work today. Going uphill seems to be when it's happening most often. Acceleration is also a problem. Had no issues with shifting before this hiccup.
    It's my work vehicle so any help would be much appreciated. I'll be happy to answer any questions to help with the diagnosis.
    Thanks!

Can you plug in a space heater under the transmission in an attempt to dry it out? Also inspect housing for cracks or damage? I get seasonal clutch chatter when pulling away from a stop. Comes and goes.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I've had clutch chatter also. But it has always gone away after some usage. I tried to baby the clutch until it went away. C
      lutch slippage is a completely different problem. If the clutch is slipping then its time for a new clutch. If the trans pops out of gear, thats probley a trans problem. If the clutch is going bad normally you can get home in a lower gear.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm going to swap out the clutch today. Sounds like it needs to be done.
        I appreciate the insight. Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Comment

resurface the flywheel.

Comment

I've got a kit with a flywheel I believe. Got stuck trying to pry the control arm out of the steering knuckle. Going to give it another wail tomorrow. Any tips would be appreciated.

Comment

Need to post a pic of what you trying to pry

Comment

.Assume you have removed the pinch bolt and are trying to separate the control arm from the knuckle (press down) without loosening the nut on the stabilizer bar of the bolt at the chassis end. I can't remember if that works. You've turned the steering wheel all the way to the left (driver's side)?
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I got it! Just needed to drench it with WD40 and give it a few good whacks with the hammer to loosen things up. After I did that it came out easy. Didn't have to mess with the stabilizer. The knuckle was a bit rusty and I was being a little too gentle with the hammer the day before.

Comment

You may need to wedge a big screwdriver in and widen the slot on the knuckle to put it back together.

Comment

Working...
                    X