1991 question regarding cam shaft seal quetion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 question regarding cam shaft seal quetion

Hi just picked up 1991 Ford Festiva. I think have to replace cam shaft seal with oil all over passenger side area around alternator. Can I remove and replace just the cam seal? That is can I purchase just the cam seal or do I need to replace other gaskets to get to the cam seal? Thank you

If you remove the upper plastic timing belt cover (4 bolts) you'll get a better view of the end of the camshaft. Sorry I don't have an answer to your question.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Opps I ment to write crank shaft. Can I just change the crankshaft gasket. Thank you for reply!

Comment

See your other post. The timing belt cover has a rubber seal. The cover and seal should keep the oil off of the alt. The valve cover is a common leak expect to have to replace it.

These leaks can be made worse by excessive blow by. You can check for excessive blow by by putting your hand over the oil fill and rev. the engine up feeling how much air is blowing out. You can also check for blow by by seeing how much oil is in the air intake hose.

Comment

These engines normally do not blow up. They just lose so much compression they will not run anymore. These engines will normally last 250k to 300k miles. Replacing seals and gaskets will only slow down leaks on a high mileage.

Comment

You will have to remove the timing belt and crank pulley, then pull the seal out by screwing a drywall screw into it and pulling it out. Be careful not to scratch the crank. While you are at it you might as well replace the cam seal too.Have to remove cam sprocket. Can take valve cover off to hold cam stationary with a wrench. Go on and replace valve cover gasket while you are at it. Day worth of work.

Comment

Working...
            X