Replacing turn signal and wiper assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing turn signal and wiper assembly

There is nothing in my repair manual for the full replacement of that entire assembly. I have an 1988 festiva LX. I have the replacement assembly, but not sure of the process. Does anyone have the replacement criteria for this procedure? Or at least an exploded view of the area in question.
    SEMPER FIDELIS

Simple, remove covers off of column and wheel. remove steering wheel with puller. unplug everything. one bolt clamps assy to column.

Comment

^ Like he said but no puller needed just rock the wheel side to side . The splines are on a cone so they come off easy. Leave the nut just threaded on while pulling on it or risk getting summer teeth.

Comment

Sorry Double post
        Last edited by william; 01-21-2020, 07:32 PM. Reason: Doubble posted

Comment

If you want you steering wheel to go back on the shaft at the same spline position, make a mark of where it is before you remove it. Also be careful when replacing it and make sure the turn signal cancellation tabs get seated correctly.
          iirc there is a plastic tab on the column multiswitch which drops in a little slot to make sure it is positioned correctly. After you loosen the clamp bolt and before you pull it off, make sure you release the tab... I broke the tab off on the first one I removed before I knew about it.

To get to the nut that holds the steering wheel on, just pull out the center plastic Ford logo insert and use a long socket to remove the nut. First time I did one I removed the screws on the back of the wheel which held on the entire cover and horn buttons... which you do not want to do.
          Last edited by 1990new; 01-21-2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

^ good tip I've always pulled the horn cover.

Comment

Working...
            X