Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rough and no power 97 trio s

Hi.
    I'm new here but have a 97 festiva trio S WB with 1.5 engine.
    I got the car from a friend of mine who had it sitting in his backyard since 2016. Had to replace the fuel pump as it was toast from sitting.
    Once installed it fired right up no issues other than a bad smell from the stale fuel. I ran the tank close to empty to try and get rid of it.
    Once I had done some work on it I took it to the next town over to get a blue slip safety and ID check for registration it ran great after filling the tank with 98 octane fuel.
    I drove it back and forth to my mechanic until he passed it. Then I got it registered. I noticed a bit of a miss when reving it up in the engine bay but didnt think much of it at the time as it was running fine when driving.
    Now my problem is it is running like a dog at idle and sounds like a tractor when I rev it up. Its lacking power and can only limp down the road.
    The plugs are sooted up with black carbon signifying that its unburnt fuel.
    I replaced the plugs and checked the leads and all ok there getting plenty of spark.
    I did the old remove 1 lead at a time trick and while 1 and 2 seem to be doing more work than 3 and 4, 3 and 4 do make a difference to idle.
    I have a friend coming over tomorrow to help me check the valve timing marks in case the belt has jumped. (dont think its that but got to start somewhere).
    Any help is appreciated.

I would want to check engine comression and air/fuel mix (clean fuel injectors?) but don't know what you and your mechanic did already. Good luck.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Ok checked the valve timing and it appears it has jumped a tooth or 2 on the belt. At any rate the belt looks worn and the seals are leaking so it will get a timing belt kit while we have it apart.
      Will know more once we get ti outer crank pulley off and check it completely but I think that's whats happened.
      Will keep you all updated on what we find.

Ray

Comment

Working...
      X