96 festiva/aspire cranks but won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 festiva/aspire cranks but won't start

I bought a 96 festiva and it ran perfectly for the first 10 minutes, when the engine lost power pulling out of a red light, and now no longer starts. I have tested with starting fluid and the engine flutters for a couple seconds before shutting off so I believe the problem lies somewhere in the fuel line. There's also a strange black box that I haven't seen in any videos or pictures tucked into the back of the engine bay, which currently appears to be in the off position, im not sure if its related but pic attached anyhow. Also, since the loss of power the hazard lights now flash whenever the key is in the ignition.

If anyone's able to give me any pointers that would be much appreciated! It's my first project car and I'm keen to learn

Box appears to possibly be some sort of security system , possible it's armed/triggered and killing the fuel pump?
    The #Racespire the ultimate sleeper....it never wakes up! :woc:
    1995 aspire 4D (#racespire) B6T swapped -under construction
    1995 aspire 4D ps,abs ,ac,auto 60k
    1996 aspire 2D - had a hard life
    1993 festy manual 262k miles and still ticking
    1989 festy carbed dream car finally own it
    1988 festy carbed manual
    1997 aspire 2D 5spd soon to be B6D
    1996 aspire 4D (parts car)
    1993 capri XR2 donor car -soon to be project car...

Comment

You should check the fuel pressure if you can. Change the fuel filter first. It may be clogged and the service life is probably unknown to you anyway.
      When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Originally posted by Racespire95 View Post
        Box appears to possibly be some sort of security system , possible it's armed/triggered and killing the fuel pump?
        Interesting, I thought this could be it. I'll have a look tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by tooldude View Post
          You should check the fuel pressure if you can. Change the fuel filter first. It may be clogged and the service life is probably unknown to you anyway.
          Am not able to check the fuel pressure currently, but nothing is flowing through the lines and the previous owner tells me the fuel filter is brand new, which I'd believe as it's still shiny and smooth

Comment

Working...
          X