Question regarding new Festiva brake rotor installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding new Festiva brake rotor installation

I'm replacing the rotors on my Festiva, and I have the frustrating captive rotors off after a lot of banging and pulling with a hammer/crow bar.

My question is regarding pressing everything back together. When I seat the bearing/rotor in the knuckle, I've banged on them with a hammer to "press" the bearing back into the knuckle, and they stay mated, but they got a little loose when I shoved the axle through when I put them back on the car. They hub and the rotor don't come completely apart, it just gets a bit wobbly.

Is this a problem? Or will the axle nut hold keep everything together when I put that back on?

Thanks. (And these new rotors are Festiva, not Aspire units).

Here is the info I have been using:
    Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

The nut will draw the hub and knuckle together on the axle. I use an old cut off axle to assemble them off the vehicle. Note the torque is something like 150-180. Also be sure to torque the rotor bolts properly so they don't come loose after a while and cause a mysterious knocking neccesitating separateing the hub and knuckle again to tighten them.. As they say "Don't ask how I know this". One reason people like to replace with Aspire hubs (and suspension) is the ease of replacing rotors.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 03-15-2020, 07:46 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Great! That'w what I hoped would happen. Thank you for the info.

I torqued the rotor bolts to 45ish ft lbs. Think that's enough?
      Last edited by CyberEric; 03-15-2020, 10:44 PM.

Comment

The Haynes manual does not cover rotor replacement because they claim there is a need for special tools to separate the hub from the knuckle and make sure the bearings are adjusted when putting them back together. We know better but then they do not give a torque for the bolts. You might find something out on the Internet or tighten 'till you feel the heads seat good and tighten some more.

PS If you have not reassembled the hub and knuckle before the wheel might be stiff when you put it back on the car. Lower the car and drive it down the driveway and back and check again. It should turn freely then.
        Last edited by WmWatt; 03-16-2020, 09:03 AM.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

My 1990 Festiva Shop Manual says tighten the rotor attaching bolts to 33-40 lb-ft so you are good there.

Comment

Awesome, thank you!

Special tools huh, guess so!

Comment

Working...
            X