Rust repair panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust repair panels?

I finally got my Festiva running decent again and have decided to give it some attention.
    Are there any rust repair panels available? I need area in front of drivers side rear wheel.
    Thanks for any help you can provide!
    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

I have not heard of ready made patches. There are a couple of comon approaches to patching. First remove the rust. Then replace by cutting sheet metal a little oversize, depress the edge of the hole with a hammer, and pop rivet the patch onto the body smoothling with polyester resin. The other way is to fill the hole with wire mesh covered with fibregalss cloth and polyester resin. Foam can be used inside to reinforce the patch. The area you are looking at is a seam filled with foam at the factory. The rust occurs when the foam traps moisture. The rust comes from inside. On my car it never got too bad because I used to clean and seal the seam with polyester or epoxy resin then paint over. Eventually I had to add a bit of fibreglass cloth. That all stopped when I started spraying canola oil inside between the body panels every fall. I got a good match on the paint by mixing small amouts of silver and grey. I find a handy tool for cleaning is a wire brush and sanding disk on an electric drill. The sanding disk is also good for smoothing the edges of the patch. Other people use a small orbital sander. Good luck.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Here you go... Order the parts from Four Green in Detroit. They will fly them in from Korea via Fedex through Anchorage. Let me know if you decide to order. I would be willing to share some of the shipping cost. I want to order the crossmember 4.

UK 2 door Kia Pride body panel part numbers
      Last edited by bravekozak; 01-12-2023, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X