Emergency Brake Cable Replacment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Brake Cable Replacment

My emergency brake cable has failed, it is no longer in one piece.

Trying to locate replacement cable and components.

Anyone have any luck sourcing these parts or have a solution to this issue?

Never mind, I found the other post and write ups about this topic.

Comment

I know where I can get a rust free cable assembly if you need one. May be a couple of weeks before I could go get it though.
      Where would it need to be mailed to and I will give you a price if you are interested.

Comment

Hey, I am in Vancouver, BC Canada.

Please let me know what the price would be.

That would be awesome.

Thanks

Comment

Shipping to Canada is a bit of a pain so the smaller the package the better.... I went out to the junkyard today and go a bunch of stuff off the Festiva there but forget to get the ebrake parts. I will go back again next week probably...
          So the cable part that broke on your is the cable that runs from the handle to the bracket at the rear axle? When I go back I will take all the e-brake parts off and post a picture of what I have so you can see and let me know after I post the picture. After you let me know exactly what pieces you want I can figure out the shipping and give you a total for the part and shipping.
          Last edited by 1990new; 05-01-2020, 06:24 PM.

Comment

The cable is snapped near the rear passenger drum, I haven't check the rest out. Not sure exactly how it all works. I might need the whole assembly from the handle to both rear brakes if possible. Its all pretty rusty.

Comment

OK... I will post a picture here as soon as I get it all pulled out. I also pulled part of the AC system out yesterday and need to go back and get the rest of that too... its all in great condition too in case anyone is looking for everything to do a complete factory AC install.
              Last edited by 1990new; 05-02-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Nice, sounds like you found a good parts car!
                Last edited by Gdh_85; 05-02-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Was the brake working? If not take a look at the clevis pin where the cable attaches to the rear brake arm. Pulling on the cable causes the arm to rotate on the pin and apply the drum brake inside. Often the clivis pin on a brake cable that isn't used will rust to the arm and the brake won't work. Just a thought. If you can't get a replacement cable people have been known to splice in a length of good wire cable using cable clamps.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Cable is snapped, the pressure arms in both of the drums were seized. I have re-done both rear brakes and freed up the e-brake linkages. I am going to try the cable clamps. Hopefully get a whole new cable assembly and get it done right in the future.

Comment

After replacing my cable years ago and freeing up the pins I always use the parking brake now to keep rust from forning on the pins.I also spray 75% canola oil with 25% solvent on the underside of the car each year to generally prevent rust.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                      X