Swapped 93 FI engine into an 88 carb model, I've got problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapped 93 FI engine into an 88 carb model, I've got problem

I have 2 Festiva's, a 93 with a good engine but bad transmission and body. So I decided to switch engins with an 88 model which had a bad engine but the body and interior is great. After 2 days of intense work busted knuckles and cuts the job was done. I put the orginal 88 carborator, distributor & ehuast manifold on the 93 engine that went into the 88 model. The car startes and runs fine untill I put water in the radiator. Now water is coming out the tailpipe along with white smoke & water is dripping out of the water pump. My question is: Did I screw up? Are the engine heads different on a 93 engine verses an 88? I guess that I should have research this issue first before doing all the work and possibly ruining my good engine. Does anyone out there have some answers or advice as what to do from here?

You may have to switch heads, but wait for more people to answer, there may be a better way.
    it runs so sweet
    91 L 5spd

Comment

So, you swapped your 93 EFI short block with your 88 carb short block. You may have been better off swapping the entire EFI long block. From what I understand, (and I very well could be wrong), the carb intake bolts right up to the EFI head. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

John
      Dang!......It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Comment

Water from the exhaust is usually indicative of a leaking head gasket, either a bad gasket or a warped head. To ascertain, you can do a compression test easily. Water dripping from the water pump USUALLY comes from the weep hole, or a bad gasket. If you have not removed it recently, my guess is the weephole, which indicates a bad pump. That can cause overheating, which can warp the head, and cause the leak in the gasket. Did you swap the heads? If so, did you use a new gasket, clean mating surfaces WELL, torque bolts in proper sequence to the correct values? Remember, any overheating can cause a warped head, so do not allow it to overheat!
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Thanks for the reply post. When I changed the motors I kept the original head on the 93 FE engine and when I put it in the 88 I put in the original distributor, fuel pump, intake manifold, exuast manifold, gas throttle, speed ometer cable & carb. The engine runs fine the only thing is: when I put water in the radiator I have a problem, water comes out the tailpipe with white smoke after running for a few moments. I am convinced now that the engine heads are identical. Some how while moving motors I must have put pressure on the motor and disturbed the head gasket or the water pump gasket. So now I will try to replace the head gasket and the water pump & gasket to see if this will cure the problem. I know that I am going backwards as far as engine performance, but the 88 Festiva is in such prestine condition that I couldn't resist the move. Correct me someone if I am wrong. Thanks!

Comment

Do a compression test! While it sounds like the gasket is bad, be sure! A compression tester from autozone can be "borrowed". You pull all the plugs, and screw the tester into the spark plug hole. Turn the engine over until the gauge stops going up in PSI. That is the reading for that cylinder. Get reading for all cylinders. A haynes manual will tell you how to do the test, as well as how to interpret the readings, or you can post the readings and someone here will tell you what they mean. If it is the gasket, once you remove the head, you must check to see if it is warped, once again, haynes provides great details. There are 2 schools of thought on whether the head can be machined and reused, but I have known only one person who has machined a warped head, and not had more probs. Have the donor head machined, though, for $40 or so it will save hassle in the future.

Be double sure to know the head bolt tightening sequence, it is no joke, and use it in reverse to remove the old head, if it isn't warped, it can be from improper removal.

Buy a haynes, it has EXCELLENT instructions for diagnosing and fixing this problem, well worth the $20 !!!
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Would be nice to know if the '93 power plant was in working condition before you dropped it in?

Also, did you add the water after to the rad after you started it...would explain a bad water pump...their is no guarantee glands/packings willt last long if they spin dry. Adding cold water to a warm block is not a good thing to do.

Anyone, i'm not familiar with the 88 intake manifold, is their any water ports on it that can be leaking thru to an intake port...maybe the gasket is not the rigth one, it failed or it is not properly seated. Just a guess.
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

all festy heads are interchangeable with any intake and block. i'd say bad headgasket... which can cause excessive pressure in the water jackets and blow out the coolent system where ever it's weakest.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'd bet on the head gasket too. Swapped an EFI engine into my 88, stayed with a carb, and I don't have any water issues. I have other issues, but water is not one of them. :shock:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                  X