Leaking trans fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking trans fluid

What points might a manual transaxle be leaking fluid?

The axle seals I'm assuming, but is it possible from other points such as shifter shaft or shafts- I don't think the casing is broke but will be trying to check.
    It's my Aspire- I'm assuming it's similar to Festy.

Thanks in advance

Drain plug hole on bottom?.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Is there one ? don't think so- the level is read at the speedo cable.

Comment

OK- my mistake- I got under there ad felt around- there definitely IS a drain plug at the bottom- it could be leaking - but I don't think so. Parking lot indcations seems like the tanny axle seals- I had small puddles afew inches 5-6 apart about at location of seals there-
        festy 4 spd 1.jpg
        And the other side 94 spd Festiva trans on ebay)

festy 4 spd 2 jpg.jpg

Comment

I believe I have seen on here the axle seals can be replaced when the axles are replaced. No need to open up the transmission. Just pry out the old seal and tap in the new one. So all you have to do is pull the axle, replace the seal, and reinsert the axle. Do a search on here for CV joint replacement to check it out and see if I remember correctly.

PS put a piece of cardboard under the car to try and pinpoint drip. Works for straight drips. Not so good for rerouted drips.
          Last edited by WmWatt; 09-08-2020, 08:19 PM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yeah- I'm afraid at 66 I really can't do the repair- but I would have perhaps tried about ten years ago. Anyway, I had the stupid CV axles replaced by a mobile mechanic the summer before last- they only have about 5 or 6000 miles on them, and I hadn't looked into the repair enough, and the leak wasn't terribly bad then- I had the mistaken belief that maybe the new CV axles would stop the leaking- it was afterwards that I asked the mechanic about it- too late and more repair bill then.

The seal placement seems to clear the center frame piece under the tranny,I forget the name of it- and it didn't seem to have an unusual amount of fluid buildup - so I have some hope that the side output seals are the main leaking culprits.
            Last edited by harpon; 09-11-2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

A good mechanic replaces the seals with the axle. Just a no brainer.
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Good. Thank you for sharing.

The shift shaft seal- about half the size of the axle seals- 1" or so- has a flange that extends inside the transmission case- I suppose it is more resistant to leaks-

and I see the replacement part listed that way at Rock auto, but also seals that have no such lip- that apparently sit only on the outside of the case like the axle seals.

Obviously the thought looks to be that they can then be replaced externally like the others- after the OE is taken out.

Anyone have any experience there? Do they actually work then?

Also- is gasket seal used on the seals, or do they simply press into place?
                Inkedfesty 4 spd 2 jpg_LI3.jpg
                Last edited by harpon; 09-11-2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

When I first got mine, I replaced the half shafts and the clutch. It leaked just like you say after that. I replaced the axle seals and no help. What I finally found was that I had slightly overfilled the transmission and the fluid was actually coming out at the speedo cable. It would drip down and look exactly like it was coming out around the axle.Took a long time to figure it out, but I removed a little fluid and the "leak" stopped. If you have recently changed or topped off the fluid it may be something to consider. Sounds crazy but it's true.

Comment

Zoe: Good point. The CV joints were replaced a couple years ago so the fluid would have been topped up then.

Comment

I've had to top the transaxle 2 or 3 times a year for several years- No- the seals were leaking before the CVs replaced and only my ignorance about it didn't get them re-done then. Now I'll know! That's the beauty of these forums.
                      Last edited by harpon; 09-13-2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X