Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instructions for replacing rear bearings and shoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No experienece with this sort of thing but it looks like a job for a hacksaw or angle grinder. The nut needs to be staked to keep from coming loose so take off as little of the weld as needed to get the nut to unscrew. Hope it works.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

From the looks of that blob of weld it's very possible that most of the metal melt was to the nut and not so much to the axle end.
      Before cutting the entire blob end off you might try sawing a cross pattern directly across the end of the weld blob to see if you can chip it off a bit to see how much is attached to the axle.
      Or you may be able to cut the edges of the blob off enought to get a heavy duty socket on the nut and the see if you can power handle the nut off.
      Might be worth a try before you decide to cut the end of the axle off.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, yeah I definitely want to try to get it off without cutting the end of the axle.

I like the idea of trying the cross pattern with a hack saw. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by CyberEric View Post
          Thanks for the tips, yeah I definitely want to try to get it off without cutting the end of the axle.

I like the idea of trying the cross pattern with a hack saw. Fingers crossed!
          Hate to say this but they probably resorted to weld job because the threads had been stripped. I just hope you haven't ended up wasting that $20 and will be able to use the axle.
          Last edited by 1990new; 10-03-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X