Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to add tachometer to 1991 Lx ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to add tachometer to 1991 Lx ?

I recently bought 1991 Lx. Would it be possible to install a dash with a tachometer? Does the Lx even have a RPM sensor? I don't need it but I would like to have it.

Keep an eye on ebay for a 90 to 93 festiva instrument cluster with tach.

Comment

Definitely.. I had installed a tach cluster on my 1992 GL "Tootsie" which I drove for many years. I sold that cluster to someone here on the forum last year I believe.

When you go to install the tach cluster you will need to reroute the speedometer shifting it to the right so it will connect to the tach cluster correctly.

Comment

Definitely.. I had installed a tach cluster on my 1992 GL "Tootsie" which I drove for many years. I sold that cluster to someone here on the forum last year I believe.

When you go to install the tach cluster you will need to reroute the speedometer cable
        shifting it to the right so it will connect to the tach cluster correctly.

Comment

There should be a connector in the engine compartment to hook up a hand held tachomter for setting the ignition timing. My '89 has it. You sould be able to mount a separate tachometer on the dash if you can't find a replacement instrument panel (cluster) with a built in tachometer.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

This is the link to the one I sold last December. I checked ebay and there are not to be had right now. https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...-plus-shipping

Reread my previous post and it should say move the speedometer cable to the right under the dash On the tach cluster the speedometer is not in the center like the no-tach cluster so you have to pull the cable back out of the route it goes through steering wheel support and route it back in to the right. Not really a big deal to do it. If you do find a tach cluster the tack function will work because the cable for it is in the harness already.

Comment

I have put2 techs in 2 '92's. Just swap the instrument cluster from an'88 or'89

Comment

WmWatt do you know ehat plug this is? Color of wores or a pic please? TIA

Comment

Frank: When I use my hand held tachometer I connect the green (possibly red) wire clip to the negative post on the coil and the black (ground) wire clip to of the car, usually one of the bolts on top of the strut tower. For a permanent connection I'd search this site on "tachometer". My tachometer has three scales for 4,6,and 8 cyclinder cars. Suggest checking the instructions for the one you intend to use.Good luck.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Looked it up in the Haynes manual wiring diagrams at the back of the book. Just shows using the negative terminal on the ignition coil. Wire is YEL/GRN.

Comment

Working...
                    X