Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window removal

Hi,

My rear window collapsed when I shut the driver's door a couple of weeks ago and I've been having a hard time getting a replacement. There are a couple of pick-n-pulls with festivas of similar years (mine is 1989, they have 1988 and 1993).

Any advice on removing the window in a salvage yard (I have never done that) are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Noam
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Right. At first I read rear window but then saw driver's door and got confused. Definitely look on Youtube. You can use dish detergent to lubricate the seal. Again, I'd practice on the junk yard car before trying on you rcar. Good luck.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 12-08-2020, 08:40 AM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The rear window is held in solely by the seal. For removal, just very carefully pulling the seal back and out of the "lip" of the hatch. You should be able top pull the window complete with seal out together in one piece.

Reinstall, I found a thread that explains it like this. I know my bodyshop had a heck of a time with it:
      First I put a cord (.080 - .120 in diameter) inside the inner-grove of the rubber seal and go all the way around it and let 6" or more come out the top-middle. Then I work the seal onto the glass. Then I apply a little dish-soap all the way around the inner flap of the seal to lessen the friction between the cord and the rubber seal.

Next, using a friend, we lay the glass right over the hatchback and pull the cord so that the inner flap works it's way onto the inner frame of the car. Then pull the cord so as to get that inner flap all the way around the inside of the hatch frame.

Someone else explained they just worked it in with patience and a screwdriver.
      Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

(Another thread just says "pick a corner and start pushing until the seal starts to let go")
        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

http://festivacentral.blogspot.com/2...n-festiva.html

Here is a link to the fordfestiva.com thread by David88 https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...ss-replacement

I tried to install the rear glass in my yellow 90 "Nellie" by myself but gave up and got someone to help... then it was much easier.
          Last edited by 1990new; 12-08-2020, 07:16 PM.

Comment

You might want to take the whole door off the junk yard car and bring it home. You could then try removing the glass yourself, swap dorrs and not have to remove the glass, or take the door and you car to an auto glass shop and pay them to do it.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
              The rear window is held in solely by the seal. For removal, just very carefully pulling the seal back and out of the "lip" of the hatch. You should be able top pull the window complete with seal out together in one piece.

Reinstall, I found a thread that explains it like this. I know my bodyshop had a heck of a time with it:
              First I put a cord (.080 - .120 in diameter) inside the inner-grove of the rubber seal and go all the way around it and let 6" or more come out the top-middle. Then I work the seal onto the glass. Then I apply a little dish-soap all the way around the inner flap of the seal to lessen the friction between the cord and the rubber seal.

Next, using a friend, we lay the glass right over the hatchback and pull the cord so that the inner flap works it's way onto the inner frame of the car. Then pull the cord so as to get that inner flap all the way around the inside of the hatch frame.

Someone else explained they just worked it in with patience and a screwdriver.
              Having not done it myself, this is the route I'd take, I've seen it done. I'd also recommend, if reusing the original seal, it's not going to be as pliable as it was new. Soak the seal in some hot water prior to trying to install it, and do it in a warm location if you can.
              1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
              1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
              1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
              1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
              2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
              2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                You might want to take the whole door off the junk yard car and bring it home. You could then try removing the glass yourself, swap dorrs and not have to remove the glass, or take the door and you car to an auto glass shop and pay them to do it.
                How do I remove the whole door?

Comment

"How do I remove the whole door?" Assuming you can open the door (liftgate) it's pretty simple. I've never done it but the Haynes manual says remove the trim panel ann disconnect any electrical connectors, detach the support struts, unbolt the hinges at the top. If you remove the door from your car it says to draw a line around the hinges at the top with a felt tip marker to help postition the new door. If you can't open a locked liftgate I imagine you can remove the lock from the inside once the rear panel is off. Maybe someone else knows about that. Haynes says the liftgate is awkward and heavy so you should have a helper and some wood for props.

Comment

Originally posted by prywes View Post

How do I remove the whole door?
                    The electrical connections for the hatch are behind the drivers side tail light. There are 1 or 2 clips, depending on the model and features of the hatch. Unplug the plastic grommet that feeds the wires from the hatch into the body of the car and then pull that entire pigtail out. When I pulled the 2 hatches that I've taken from the junkyards, I removed the hinge as it was connected to the hatch. If you remove the headliner, there are 2 12MM bolts on each side that unscrew. Disconnect the support strut. And if the hatch has a rear wiper, you'll also need to remove the spray hose tube (in the middle grommet).

With the strut removed and with the 4 bolts holding those hinges in place, you can sort of force the entire hatch up and it'll pop off. I was able to remove it and walk it out of the yard solo... but an extra set of hands would make it easier.

I just did this exact thing to add a rear wiper and defrost to my car.

(the downside to this is that the color will likely not match - unless you're lucky to find that same one in the junkyard)
                    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

I ended up taking the window out without the seal. It wasn't too hard, now I need to get the tint off, or maybe just hand it off to a glass shop and let them take care of everything. The window I got doesn't have the heating elements but that's fine Thanks for the advice! This forum is amazing.

Comment

Nice. Thanks for posting your solution as it adds to the database of information on the site.

Comment

Originally posted by prywes View Post
                          ...now I need to get the tint off, or maybe just hand it off to a glass shop and let them take care of everything.
                          Take it to the glass shop... they've got the tools and products to remove it easier than what you'll end up fighting with.
                          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

We ended up installing the window ourselves with the tutorial above. We tore into the seal a tiny bit on the inner bottom rim in two spots but it's pretty minimal. The window seemed to bulge out at the bottom at first but with some shoving adjusted very nicely. I'm very pleased. Now to see if my insurance will pay anything out... Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
                            X