No Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark

I've been fighting an ignition/spark problem for the past couple of months on my 93 with 253k on it. About 10 years ago, I replaced the fusible links with a new fuse box. I've been having charging issues for about the past 10 years as well. I've been through about 6 alternators from Autozone. After about the 5th rebuilt one, I returned it and exchanged it for a new one. It starts off at 14 volts when I first start up, but then after I'm driving for 15 minutes, it's down under 12 volts. If I'm running the lights, it gets down to 10 volts. This is an ongoing issue that may or may not be related.
    About a month ago, I was driving, and it just died. When I got it home, it had no spark and I ended up replacing everything ignition related. It needed a tune up anyways, so it got new wires, plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. I also replaced the Ignition control module, ignition coil, as each time I replaced something, it worked for a few days, and then quit again. I finally realized, I was intermittently getting 12V on the yellow/black to the crankshaft position sensor on the distributor. When it failed a month ago, it was only getting 3-4V at the CPS. So, I ran a wire from the yellow/black on the empty 6 plug near the firewall to supply the power to the CPS. I thought problem solved, until today. I stopped at my dad's house and it wouldn't start. After some evaluation, the power from the yellow/black from the empty 6 plug near the fire wall is now down to 3-4 volts. I then ran my newly created line to my fuse box, and put a 5 amp fuse in it. I confirmed that 12 volts is getting back to the CPS. No "signal" is being sent back to the ignition control module or coil, therefore, no spark. We did get it to fire up a couple times, but it appears that it is dead for now.
    Could my CPS be burning out the power supplies (yellow/black) to it?
    I looked around, and have CPS's gone bad before? They don't seem like much could go wrong with them.
    Looking at the wiring diagrams, it looks like the CPS goes through the computer, so there's no way I can wire directly from the CPS to the ignition control module?
    Anyone have anything similar happen before?
    Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
Working...
X