Stuck wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck wheel

As the title suggests I have a stuck wheel. Front driver side. Its the alloy wheel, I have applied heat, I have applied rust penetrant, i.e. pb blaster and wd-40, I have used a rubber mallet, then a 5 lb hammer, a 16lb sledge with a piece of 2x4, and a 5 ton puller. I have also loosened the bolts and driven over potholes and curbs, all to no avail. I need some advice. Also, my local tire stores and garages won't touch it and I'm not willing to risk a 45 mile drive on the belts to get it to a different shop. Any ideas?

Sounds like a tough one. I changed a tire on an Audi like that one time. Finally got it beating on it from the inside with a 4 x 4. Good luck.

Comment

Have you tried pentrating oil (eg WD-40) or petroleum solvent (eg paint thinner) to break up whatever is bonding the rim to the hub? It may be a case of metal oxidation. Most people think of iron oxide (rust) but aluminim rusts to some extent too (aluminum oxide). Oxidation is what makes aluminum go from shiny to dull. There is another phenominum involving contact of unlike metals, in this case steel and aluminum. Or maybe the rim is bent and is stuck on. In that case penetrating oil or heavier lubricant may help. Also in that case it might help to push the rim onto the hub as well as off to free it. Another suggestiion is to try to separate the rim from the hub with a pry bar or tapping on a cold chisel in the seam between the rim and hub. Good luck.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I have tried wd40 and pb blaster. I never considered the rim possibly being bent. The car was in an accident before I got it by the front left wheel. I just naturally assumed rust. The other wheels I've had off were stuck too, but not as bad.

Comment

I have have mounted used rims which were tight and one would not go on over the hub. I took a file to the edge of the hub and it went on okay. Mabye I should have taken the file to the edge of the rim instead. Either way would have helped. I have got under the car and kicked a rear rim off the hub with my feet. The car was secrurely mounted on jack stands at the time. The suggestion above to drive it off with a 2x4 sounds pretty good.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sounds like you need a cutting torch... You will probably have to sacrifice that aluminum wheel.

Comment

Before resorting to a cutting torch I would be inlilned to try heating the hub area with a propane torch to expand the rim and see if it will come off. I've found the effect of heating metal with propane is short lived due to rapid cooling so if you try you might want one person applying the heat while another person taps firmly on the rim with a great big hammer.

Comment

I have already tried heat, and really I've tried every suggestion so far other than cutting it off, which I am quite reluctant to do.

Comment

Ah, right. I re-read the original post. Sorry about that. How about removing the rim and hub from the car from the car as a unit to better work on it? I'm trying to imagine how that might go. You'd need to remove th axle nut and disconnect the control arm, strut, and tie rod. I've never tried that with the rim still attached. Possible?

Comment

I may be able to to that. I've replaced the tie rod and balljoint with that wheel on the car. Not the easiest but I've had tougher jobs. Honestly I may say the heck with it and cut it off. I'd just have to get other wheels. I just need to get it ready for a 1k mile trip. Once I get there I can park it and restore it right

Comment

It occured to me that if you want to cut the rim off and don't know how to use a cutting torch an angle grinder would do the job. I've had some experience with an angle grinder. The trick would be not to cut too deep and damage the hub.

Comment

I don't have access to a cutting torch, fortunately I am fairly skilled with an angle grinder. Finding a replacement wheel is proving a challenge, however.

Comment

Originally posted by hawgheaven85 View Post
                          I don't have access to a cutting torch, fortunately I am fairly skilled with an angle grinder. Finding a replacement wheel is proving a challenge, however.
                          I have a set of steel wheels but no extra alloys. Have alloys on min and also a full size alloy spare...

Comment

Loosen the lug nuts slightly and go drive around, but you need to load the tire/wheel up sideways by turning hard instead of straight up/down movements like over potholes. It should come loose with some cornering. The hubcentric fit of the wheel transfers straight up/down loads primarily through the hub/wheel fit instead of the lugs.
                            '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                            '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                            '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                            '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                            '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                            '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                            How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                            How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

In addition to what TheAstronaut wrote you could charge at the curb from an angle, just not enough to bend the rim. Gently at first, then with vigour.

Comment

Working...
                              X