Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I got the shaft....

Hey Everyone,
    Brand new to this forum. I made what can only be described as a really dumb decision. Excitement got the best of me, and I paid $1,000 for a 1988 Ford Festiva LX.

We switched the title, runs loud, but that wasn't a big deal to me. I drove to the gas station roughly 3 blocks away and my foot went to the floor and the brake line blew. Fluid completely emptied into the parking lot.

My buddy towed it down to his shop. It needs new brake lines, a gas tank, calipers, and the back end of the unibody is rusted out quite a bit.

Any advice on if it's worth trying to fix? At this point I'm just trying to get by $1,000 back out of it. I'm considering parting it out.

If the beam mount area is rotted then its not worth fixing. You could sell the LX parts, 5 speed, rear spindles, front hubs to get some of your costs back. The headlights and taillights are worth selling too if they're in good shape. The engine isn't really worth much, most guys are giving away stock engines after they swap in 1.6's or 1.8's.
    '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
    '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
    '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
    '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
    '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
    '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
    How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
    How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

Originally posted by theastronaut View Post
      If the beam mount area is rotted then its not worth fixing. You could sell the LX parts, 5 speed, rear spindles, front hubs to get some of your costs back. The headlights and taillights are worth selling too if they're in good shape. The engine isn't really worth much, most guys are giving away stock engines after they swap in 1.6's or 1.8's.
      Thanks for the reply, I'll have to check and see where exactly the bad rust is in the back end. I've been toying around with the idea of just making it a toy. I had purchased it to put some elbow grease in and have a daily driver during the warm months on my work commute to save money.

Comment

Working...
      X