1989 to 1991 altenator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 to 1991 altenator

Does anyone know the difference between the alternators on the 89 and 91? I am going to put my 91 engine in my 89 and need to know if there is a harness difference... Also, I am probably going to swap intakes and use the stock carb, but what all would need to be done to change it from cab to FI?

Copied 2018 post and pasted here for your convenience... this may not be everything but it's a good start.

ricko1966 replied
    03-05-2018, 07:58 AM
    You basically need to perform two swaps, one is you need to convert to fuel injection. I copied and pasted this from someone FB71, maybe, I.ll see if I can find anything on the engine swap part. I really think that is basically just bolt it in redrill the car for the front mount and swap the computer but I'll search around.
    EFI swap
    Find donor EFI car, remove entire wiring harness, ECU, coil and bracket, VAF and brackets, column switchgear, and fuel tank (including access cover) and inertia switch
    2/ remove entire wiring harness from carb car (requires removal of dash and interior panels
    3/ remove carb intake and distributor, coil, fuel filter, solenoids, fuel tank
    4/ install EFI intake and distributor, EFI tank, intertia switch, coil, fuel filter, VAF, switchgear, harnesses and ECU
    5/ finish reassembly and enjoy.

you can retain manual seatbelts easily. Just do not swap over the Passive Restraint module under the driver's seat. Leave the connector loose, or cut off.

The wire harness to the dome lamp will require cutting off the connector, and splicing on the connector for the EFI car dome lamp/Passive Restraints switches. You will only use two wires for the lamp, just cut off the other wires.

Comment

1990new copied me where I was copying some one else but that wasn't for a straight festiva to festiva swap I don't remember what engine was going in. But everything except the redriling for the mount is still correct. I do not remember the alternator plug being different. If you want to stay carburated NBD. How I would do it pull the donor car engine complete. Unbolt the intake on the carby car and hang it by bungees, straps, whatever. Then drop the engine out the bottom.Youll have to swap distributors and fuel pump from the old engine to the new engine. Push the new engine up from underneath, bolt on the intake, hook it all back up super simple.The reason for leaving the manifold in the driver is less chance of mixing up a vacuum line, carbys are a vacuum nightmare.
      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification riko. Here are links which show the differences in the pre 1990 alternators verses the newer ones. The pre 1990 alternators appear to generate 45 amps verses 50 for the newer ones and the connections are different:
        Pre 1990: https://www.istartappq.com/index.php...ucts_id=101163
        Here is a picture of the 1990 and later alternator. Not sure but the 1989 EFI alternators for automatics may be the same as the 1990 and later ones.
        This is one the I just received from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for $93.95 shipped (WAI GLOBAL 13295N .. Rockauto has the exact same one for $115.79 Plus shipping)
        V
        IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0677.JPG IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0675.JPG
        Last edited by 1990new; 04-27-2021, 01:11 PM.

Comment

1990 new I hope I didn't offend you, that wasn't the reason I posted, just wanted him to know that was doing a bpt swap.Anyways yep I had forgot you need to splivmce the alternator pigtail or swap alternators. I'd use the early alternator reasoning is so many other alternator use that same early plug, pulley and mounting configuration. Shiners Forge I know these cars pretty well, have tons of parts and tons if expierience, telling you cause I'm not terribly far from you, so if you ever get in a jam, need a hand,need to borrow a tow bar, tool etc. Just ask
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
            1990 new I hope I didn't offend you, that wasn't the reason I posted, just wanted him to know that was doing a bpt swap.Anyways yep I had forgot you need to splivmce the alternator pigtail or swap alternators. I'd use the early alternator reasoning is so many other alternator use that same early plug, pulley and mounting configuration. Shiners Forge I know these cars pretty well, have tons of parts and tons if expierience, telling you cause I'm not terribly far from you, so if you ever get in a jam, need a hand,need to borrow a tow bar, tool etc. Just ask
            Offend me?? No way... The clarification is welcomed. I'm all for getting correct information posted here.. If I'm wrong about something I want to know it asap so I don't mess up something myself or lead anyone the wrong way.

Comment

I have learned a lot more since I first responded to this thread.
              Here is a link to a new thread which explains it a lot better.
              Above page from 1990 - 1993 manual (Alternator with S/L plug)...........................Above page from 89 manual Here is some information that may be helpful to folks having alternator charging issues. The "Charge" light on the instrument panel is a key component that must be present and working properly or the

Comment

Working...
              X