Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchromesh vs ATF? (Manual)

Hey guys

TD:LR - Will Royal Purple Synchromax be an improvement over ATF (transmission now worn)

I've just spent the last few hours reading all the old theads on which fluid to use in our manual transmissions. In the past I've used a fully synthetic ATF and that's been great. But recently I took my car to a mechanic to get a bunch of work done - long story short they underfilled it by 0.5qt. I didn't realise immediately, then a whine came which I incorrectly thought was a belt which was swapped at the same time it appeared but then days ago the gears became difficult to shift so that's when I worked it out. I dumped the fluid and put the correct amount back in. Shifts became whisper quiet but 1st & 2nd gear are near impossible to shift, even worse than before I changed it. Interestly, if the car is OFF then the gears shift perfectly. Google suggests this could actually be clutch related, the clutch too is worn so I'm not sure...

Anyhow after reading all the pros n cons of Gear oil vs ATF vs CVT vs Sychromesh, I thought I'd give Royal Purple Synchromax a go. But it's darn expensive here in Australia so before I buy it I thought I'd check with you guys, do you think it would be an improvement or am I throwing money in the wrong direction?
    Last edited by Click_It; 05-01-2021, 03:23 AM.
    200,000KM milestone!

On a car I owned before the Festiva a soft copper (brass?) syncromesh bushing wore out and had to be replaced. Maybe look that up on the Internet and see if it sounds like it may be your problem? To repalce the bushing the transmillion has to be opened up.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
      On a car I owned before the Festiva a soft copper (brass?) syncromesh bushing wore out and had to be replaced. Maybe look that up on the Internet and see if it sounds like it may be your problem? To repalce the bushing the transmillion has to be opened up.
      You might be right. I've just swapped the ATF out for Bike 20/50 and it's made no difference either so the gearbox is close to dying I think. If I have to open things up... I need to put a new clutch at some stage, I might just get a G series gearbox and throw that in instead.
      200,000KM milestone!

Comment

<duplicate>
        Last edited by Click_It; 05-03-2021, 12:33 AM.
        200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Working...
        X