Preferred source for plug wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred source for plug wires?

I have vague recollections over years past of buying new plug wires for Festies and finding them not good fits -- wires too long, etc.

My AK 92 is now arcing from one of the plug wires to the block at low- to moderate- RPMs..

Is there a preferred source for a complete set of plug wires for Festies? I checked TheFestivaStore.com and found nothing there.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

I would nto rule out a trip to the junk yard. My current set of igniton wires came off a junk yard Mazda. It looked like the previous owner had replaced some parts with new ones before junking the car and the ignition wires were new.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

WmWatt,

Good idea, but, given that the Festiva species appears to be extinct (except for my 2 specimens) here in Alaska, and the state is 2.5 times the area of TX with total population less that that of the city of Seattle, the likelihood of finding a Festiva in a junkyard here is essentially nil.

I'll probably buy whatever a local parts store offers and hold on to the present ones (which may be original -- but in any event fit well) for future searching.

I have checked TheFestivaStore.com and found nothing there. Is there a way to email or phone them? I don't see any "contact" link on their site.
      88L black, dailydriver
      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg
      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

I bought a beautiful set of NGK plug wires from Rock Auto for $21 + shipping. They are 8mm diameter and the lengths are perfect. I have only had them on my car for a few months so I can not attest to their longevity, I will say that they look like a high quality product. My only complaint is the set I purchased did not come with a coil wire.
        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I bought a beautiful set of NGK plug wires from Rock Auto for $21 + shipping. They are 8mm diameter and the lengths are perfect. I have only had them on my car for a few months so I can not attest to their longevity, I will say that they look like a high quality product. My only complaint is the set I purchased did not come with a coil wire.
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

If you try looking for plug wires for Mazda's with B6 engines (late 80's- mid 90's) and also Kias with B6ME engines(mid 90's) you may find a greater selection of wire sets and if all else fails look on eBay and buy the wire in bulk and the buy the terminals and boots to make your own custom fit wires. You will need a good crimping tool and there are crimpers made specifically for plug wires. A good plug wire crimper doesn't come cheap but it will make you custom wires for a lifetime. There's nothing more vexing than paying top dollar for a "custom fit" set of V-8 plug wires and finding half of the wires are a foot too long.

Comment

Working...
            X